Cycas Revoluta - Protection - Unwrapped

Simba

Cycas Revoluta - Protection - Unwrapped

Post by Simba »

Been asked by a few people recently how well I wrap my Revoluta...

Well here are a couple of shots, as pictures speak louder than words...

Good job the missus got a new dressing gown for Christmas or she wouldn't have been happy with me.... :lol:

Sleeping bags for the twins next year.... icon_thumleft
Last edited by Simba on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kata

Re: Cycas Revoluta - Protection

Post by kata »

Great job Simba!

:mrgreen:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Did you see them two over at tescos [southend] last week Simba?
Totally browned off as last year, I don't know how many years on the trot they can take that kind of punishment, so you've done a wise thing there.
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

Is that one wrapped by the door outside? Do I need to wrap mine if it's in a pot lifted into my garage?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It looks good Simba, but are they ok under that :?: One of mine had it's leaves drawn up and was under a double laver of fleece then covered with a heavy duty fleece bag with drawstring. After just under -9C with a freezing day either side it looked like this
:ahhh!:
2011-01-19 14-10-08 Cycas revo2.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by boybeck »

I take it from your photo Dave, that I'm probably best off keeping my new revoluta in a pot and sinking that into the ground so I can bring it into the garage during cold weather?
Simba

Post by Simba »

Nigel Fear wrote:Did you see them two over at tescos [southend] last week Simba?
Totally browned off as last year....
I did have a look for them Nige, but to be honest they were very well camoflagued by everything else that looked browned and toasted... :?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

cant see many people getting away with green fronds this year no matter how well they were wrapped. the duration of the cold would have penetrated most attempts.keeping the crown snow/wet and ice free was probably the best hope anyone had without bringing them in or some form of heat but how would you heat the fronds on these?

i am also thinking now that because the severe cold came so early,many plants didnt have chance to go dormant thus killing off a growing cycle.sounds far fetched i know but im sure it has a part to play in the early damage showing
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Simba

Post by Simba »

Well I'll probably be unwrapping them again sometime this week so we'll see how they look then.

When they were last unwrapped though, they looked in 10x better condition than last year, so I am optimistic that I am on the right path...
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I unwrapped mine[ big one] on the 27th of Dec. after all that bad snow, and it was fine, since then I've fully covered it for just 2 nights, one of which the wind blew away the cover, and just stuffed a scrunched up fleece in the 'business area' when it's looked like a frost.

All I have seen so far in the way of damage is the odd brown tip. Simba will vouch for that, the smaller ones have spent winter in a shed.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I'll have to be careful how I word this.....

I visited Nige last weekend and he took me down the garden path and showed me his large one unwrapped....

It was quite impressive..... :wink:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

did you poke his crown to see if it was soft??
Simba

Post by Simba »

I gave it a good squeeze RS, it was very firm, and nothing ooozed out either.... :roll:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

We both poked around the crown, and it looked as though it's due an eruption so left it well alone! :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

glad to hear it :lol: :lol: :lol:
cant go disturbing firm crowns this time of year