yucca aloifolia purpurea

kite567

yucca aloifolia purpurea

Post by kite567 »

I had one of these, which I kept potted, for a couple of years but it was not very cold resistant. Can't remember exactly at what temp but it turned to mush at just a few degees below freezing. Very pretty plant.

It's not a cultivar of Yucca aloifolia which others have commented on as being 'very spiky', but, in reality, is Yucca desmetiana, a totally different species.

https://worldofsucculents.com/yucca-desmetiana/
tatter

yucca aloifolia purpurea

Post by tatter »

karl66 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 am Post by karl66 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 am

Jim, I've lost two of them over separate periods, there lovely plants once you get them established although never heard of them being root hardy once the foliage/ Centre has rotted.
Karl it was the Melianthus Major i refered to as being root hardy not the Yucca
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
karl66

yucca aloifolia purpurea

Post by karl66 »

Sorry Jim my mistake...there not for me!, saying that it was a cruel winter.
Chez2

yucca aloifolia purpurea

Post by Chez2 »

karl66 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 am I'm not surprised they survive in Costa Rotherham ,I've started buying my vulcanic rock from around that area!.
If you read my post karl you will see I said mine rotted off whereas tender succulents in the same area of the garden haven't.

Did you mean volcanic rock? Its limestone here which is sedimentary rock not volcanic. Only a few feet down in some areas of the garden and its solid bedrock, quite amazing to see. In the lower section of our land you can see the water table about 1.4m below the surface. Our garden is on a south facing slope which combined with the rocky soil does give plants a decent chance of survival in winter. Its the combination of cold and wet which exacerbates the chance of survival for a lot of drought tolerant or tender plants.