tetrapanax root cuttings wilting

Tiddy

tetrapanax root cuttings wilting

Post by Tiddy »

I have had my first attempt at propagating t rex from root cuttings. All was going well but gradually I have lost about 10% to wilting and then dying. First I put it down to transplanting too quickly and including chicken poo in the potting mix. But now one that has not been transplanted has gone from healthy to on its death bed overnight. I have them in my grow box at a temp of about 21 c. any ideas why? icon_scratch
dave2166

Re: tetrapanax root cuttings wilting

Post by dave2166 »

might be too warm

ive had one in a pot since the autumn, in the greenhouse, no heat as such its on the floor, just started to come up

i had the same problem last year with ones i did in the spring, remember when it was hot??, and they all croaked..

i dont think they like too much heat until they have got a good root system ,
Tiddy

Post by Tiddy »

ok Dave, i'll transfer some to the greenhouse, 50/50 and see what happens. I don't want to lose the lot.
Cheers.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

ive got a curly leaf one in a pot out in the front garden,tucked it under a jasmine after it defoliated,now has 2 new leaves poking out. sounds to me like Dave says.too much heat and possibly lack of humidity??
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

maybe its a good thing, this is a 20ft fall bunch of trex's on the IOW, pups everywhere
IMAG0027.jpg
I was going to plant mine next to the house....now, im not!!

My trex root cuttings have been going fine in a 23c room on a south facing windowsill, no chemicals or fertilisers. maybe the poo was too much for them?
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

do those plants look dead there????

sounds like the pups are doing what they are supposed to do

i agree with RS, i think the compost mix might be too strong, remember if there are no roots, and very little roots, then the plant cant metabolise the mixture

the windowsill approach is often the best approach to to root cuttings, we all know how vigorous the plants can be so i dont think they need many excuses to get going,