Cycas revoluta - Protection against -14C (7F)

Simba

Cycas revoluta - Protection against -14C (7F)

Post by Simba »

A few people have been asking me for more detail about how I wrapped and protected my two revolutas, so here goes....

The hard winter of 2009 caught me unprepared, and the only protection that I gave my revolutas was a tarpaulin, hastily thrown over the top, and weighted down, so that it didn't fly off.
When I eventually uncovered, they looked in a dreadful state, I was gutted, I really thought that I had killed my favourite plants.

But I was amazed when June came around and I was rewarded with the beginnings of fabulous flushes of more than 30 new fronds on each.

As winter 2010 approached, I was determined that I would make a far better job of protection for my revolutas than I did previously....

First thing I did was to stuff scrunched up balls of horticultural fleece on the crown of the caudex. No skimping. This was about 4 or 5 inches deep.
This can be quite tricky because of the prickly nature of revolutas, so I carefully pushed the fleece into place using a bamboo cane.

Next thing was to bind the fronds tightly together using string and wire.
My thinking was was that bound tightly, they would keep warmer than being loosely bound.

Next the unprotected caudex would have the cat's fleece blanket folded over, and wrapped around, and then I used a spare roll of weed supressing membrane, which was wrapped around the caudex, and crucially I believe, it covered the surrounding soil to protect from frosts.

But similarly with the potted revoluta, the pot and soil was wrapped protected from feeling the frosts.

Once this was done, I then proceeded to wrap the fronds with layers of horticultural fleece.
As before, no skimping. I went round and round and round, and over the top too... :roll:
When I had decided that was sufficient, gardening wire was wound around to hold it all in place.

Finally, I borrowed the wife's thick towelling dressing gown.
Well she wanted a new one for Christmas anyway.... :lol:

Yes it was a lot of effort and perhaps excessive, but then, who would have guessed that this part of Essex would plummet to minus 14, very nearly minus 15...!!
I wouldn't protect all my plants to this level, but for me, I have two very special Cycas revolutas and they are completely worth the effort.

When they were finally unwrapped at the end of February after being in their coccoon for nearly 4 months, I think that the end justified the means....

And now that the fronds have relaxed a little after their prolonged binding....

I am not going to claim that they are undamaged, but considering that this is after minus 14 I am chuffed to bits with how they now look....
bev

Re: Cycas revoluta - Protection against -14

Post by bev »

Cheers for that info simba, you've saved me asking the question! icon_salut

Cheers

Lee
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Did your wife get the new dressing gown she wanted ? or is she still thawing out :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

You did the right thing Simba. They have come through winter amazingly well and will give you pleasure all through the spring, summer and autumn.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Great stuff! The lengths we go to eh! :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

just curious why you didnt bring the potted one inside?

i havent the guts to put one in the ground both mine are staying potbound.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Glad you put this up Simba, I'll be planting mine out this year as it takes up too much room in the g/house. That dressing gown pic made me :lol:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

A great 'how to' Simba. You know I'd love to have the nerve to try mine planted out, but when it comes to the crunch I always back out :( and there it is dragged backwards and forwards every year with the promise of a permanent planting.

One of these times :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I know a bloke who grows his cycads in the ground and as a protection he uses old tyres stuffed with rockwool. He also wrap a string of xmas lights around his plants in case temps inside that 'rubber column' drop below -15. a pane of glass on top of it protects plants from precipitation. Must ask him if I could present pictures of his method here.
Simba

Post by Simba »

That would be interesting to see Country lover...

I have already bought mountain sleeping bags for my revolutas in readiness for next winter..
palmking

Post by palmking »

Seriously impressive. I lost my large one last year, having been planted and protected outside for the previous 5 yrs. -10.3c was enough.

I've just picked a new one up,almost as large and seriously cheap from a local GC.

Paul
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

So, I'm allowed to present you a sago history in pictures
Attachments
46273d7243d76a2c.jpg
3fc415d75b6b38d2.jpg
10447b5bc1f995ac.jpg
3043861089cf0b43.jpg
cd5b46260f6a605f.jpg
dbbf44066fad1551.jpg
4f99365bd186766b.jpg
panzhihuaensis.jpg
ef49369c52a5d82c.jpg
1d93e7db433750c8.jpg
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

no happy ending this year. He said only one of his cycads had survived for sure. The rest have spongy stems :(
Attachments
3e9bba5362b3a4d8.jpg
93a6f292c2933381.jpg
b7ce5260784e98aa.jpg
Simba

Post by Simba »

That is very sad to hear, he had a lovely collection of revoluta there, and obviously tried really hard to protect them.

Looks like the Cycas Panzi was the one that survived for sure...?
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Probably Cycas panziblahblah is hardier than revoluta.