FARFUGIUM JAPONICUM 'GIGANTEA' ?

Tessa

FARFUGIUM JAPONICUM 'GIGANTEA' ?

Post by Tessa »

Anyone have this plant? I found a description online but no photo. Sounds intriguing.

~ Tessa
Simba

Re: FARFUGIUM JAPONICUM 'GIGANTEA' ?

Post by Simba »

Tessa wrote:Anyone have this plant?
Not yet, but I will soon...Amulree have some coming in, and I think that they will look great in teh spot I have set aside for some... :D
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Followed some links to Daves Garden site ....

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1308/

Is this the beastie ?
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Simba, Do you live close enough to go get it yourself or will you have it shipped? Amulree's shipping seems excessive as well. £18. to ship a single plant! Have I been out of the loop too long? Have all the online nurseries raised shipping to jaw-dropping prices? Our closest tropical nursery that we frequented was Mulu before they moved. That's how long it's been since we were buying for the garden. Oh the dilemma! Petrol prices vs shipping charges? :::sigh:::

~ Tessa
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

JungleNuts wrote:Followed some links to Daves Garden site ....

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1308/

Is this the beastie ?
That's it! Gosh it's GORGEOUS! I WANT ONE!!!!!!

Thanks JungleNuts! icon_thumleft

~ Tessa
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes I'd be after some if I came across them.

Here is what I think was a Farfuguim at Wisley
Attachments
20100131  Wisley 19 Farfugium.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Simba »

Farfugium japonicum 'Aureo-maculata' - Leopard Plant ^ ^ ^

Another hardy one, as mine are beginning to make a reappearance.... icon_thumleft
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Dave Brown wrote:Yes I'd be after some if I came across them.

Here is what I think was a Farfuguim at Wisley
I have this one. Got it at Mulu before they moved. Had to beg Adam for it. LOL! Its a lovely plant. Slugs and snails think so too. :roll: Which is why I am DE-LIGHT-TED that I have a MASSIVE amount of frogspawn in the pond. I want several dozen frogs jumping around eating every snail & slug in sight! icon_rambo

~ Tessa
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

dont amulree have these?
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Mr List wrote:dont amulree have these?
Yes, I think their website is where I found the description. But there was no photo. I've never been to Amulree in person. Sad Tessa. :(

~ Tessa
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

It is a fantastic plant, and one I've been on the look out for for a few years.
CGF used to have it (they may not be too far from you, Tessa? CGF is Cotswold Garden Flowers, in Badsey near Evesham - they do mail order but it's worth a visit if you can). They don't seem to have had gigantea on offer for a while - but they do have a selection of other Farfugiums which are worth a look.
Will be good if Simon is getting some in at Amulree- as that's not too far for me.
Tessa: The shipping costs for a lot of the exotic plant nurseries do appear high - but most of them (like Crug and Hardy Exotics) charge for a biggish box - so it always works out expensive if you just buy one plant, but if you order a few the carriage remains the same so isn't quite as painful. Most of them have gone down that route to ensure the plants arrive in good condition.
Pete
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

also the last lot of plants I had from Simon, were supplied in an open topped box. This means the shipper knows what is in there, so is less likely to throw them around, and can't stack things on top. :wink: but that may cost more to deliver.

I shall certainly be on the look out for the giantea :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jonny »

I got one from Hardy exotics a few years ago but it didnt come through the winter :( plus the slugs got to it first.It is a lovely looking plant though. I have crispatum and the variegated one icon_scratch which are just putting on new growth after completly defoliating this winter. Aureomaculatum has been planted out and has stayed evergreen. Some overhead cover seems quite benifical to them in the winter.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I got my bamboo and waggies from Amulree and the wrapping was excellent, plants misted and fully wrapped and pre water etc etc. Only issue was the stupid courier snapped the big stem off one bamboo but they will grow. The quality was very good!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Couriers can be very slap dash. I got a lot of beaten about plants and some held in storage for a few days last year. Overall most deliveries have been 1st class.