Monstrous Butia on ebay, worth seeing!

Jon Boy

Re: Monstrous Butia on ebay, worth seeing!

Post by Jon Boy »

Philip,

What are the Butia's in your area?? My comments relate purely to Yatay, Odorata or Eriospatha would come recommended but Yatay just seems to slowly decline in this country, it's just doesn't seem warm enough to actively grow.

There's a quite a few of us that have had large Yatay's (mine had a 1.8m trunk) which have slowly declined to the point where they were thrown out. Mine got the chainsaw treatment last spring.

With regards to cost, that's your decision of course, but I've just arranged the import of two 2m trunk Butia's (Eriospatha and Odorata) for a lot less than that is advertised at.

Jon
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i agree with what you are saying 100% jonboy. i havent had plants as big as yours but have had smaller ones,2, both of which only took a few years to have no new growth worth their space here.
i think possibly there is one good one in a guy called Teds garden on eps.if it is a yatay,would be the only one i know of thats done any good outside here.
im soon getting a seedling to try growing indoors as Mo,aka themes,reckons his are doing great as house plants icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

There are twenty butia in my area I can't tell the species apart and from what I can tell most offered for sale are hybrids between the species I would love some hints on classification. All the best ones are vivid blue with strongly recurved leaves I agree£ 1,500 + is a lot of money unless you know your palm. one in my home town has been here twenty years
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'd love a Butia but here in the North I'd buy a Jelly Palm and after 12 months I'd own a jelly.

:(
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Simba wrote:Arlon, the seller of this Butia, is the girl that I told you about with the £695. revoluta.... :lol:
thats peanuts for you, you could get 2. One for each side of the drive :D
Simba

Post by Simba »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:thats peanuts for you, you could get 2. One for each side of the drive :D
Nah, she doesn't even give me mates rates... :roll:
billdango

Post by billdango »

no sweat, i earn that much an hour window cleaning ???.
billdango. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Yatays are a no no in the uk. as said before wolly butias ie erispotheas are the toughtest. £1499 for a bedding plant is too much to pay lol. as that is what it would end up as. a dead butia.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Kata is this what you want.....
Attachments
50 litre butia catarinensis
50 litre butia catarinensis
20 litre catarinensis packaged and ready to go in container
20 litre catarinensis packaged and ready to go in container
kata

Post by kata »

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Do we have a new name Nig so I can buy the seed?

Thanks a million Nig!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ste

Post by Ste »

Im glad I got the capitata instead of the yatay, to me it seems more hardy
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Nigel wrote:Kata is this what you want.....
Are any of these coming to England Nigel? If so how hardy would you say they are? Regards Rick.
Simba

Post by Simba »

They do look very, very nice... icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

I just want the seed to raise two myself,

Just waiting for confirmation if the name has changed Rick. It would be a catastrophie if we just took it as a Butia Capitata, and turned out not to be that.

icon_cheers icon_cheers

Oh they are Simba, they are. It should be this:
Attachments
Butia_capitataa.JPG
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

They are Butia catarinensis.
I am hoping Akamba or Amulree might buy some , if you asked those guys to order you one I am sure thye would.
otherwise you could probably buy one direct from Tropical Centre in holland , the postage shouldnt be too much for the smaller size.
They are as hardy as any Butia , but last December was too much in many places, however it is a Butia that does well in a pot and is easily moved in winter,even as a trunking plant.