Ensete v maurelli Verses Tandarra Red and other landraces

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Ensete v maurelli Verses Tandarra Red and other landraces

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I believe these are probably one and the same but on crocus they are listed as two separate plants see

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/exotic ... 20/sort.1/

icon_scratch icon_scratch

I've grown both and didn't find any difference apart from Tandarra red possibly grew faster.

Any thoughts?
grub

Re: maurelli V Tandarra Red

Post by grub »

As far as I'm concerned they're the same plant, just another marketing scam :evil:
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Im waiting for the "Ruby banana" next :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am doing my own little experiment this summer with a little tandarra plug plant i brought, i am going to see what kind of size i can get it to in its first year :)

It did only come with one leaf and a roller, this is it so far, and i have had it since the 9th of march :)
Attachments
my experiment for this summer.jpg
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I had one a couple of years ago & the red was more restricted to the edges of the leaves than in my mauerelii... But apart from that, not a lot of difference.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

My red is the same as yours San.....did you get it from ebay by any chance ??????
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

tandarra supposed to be slightly hardier i read, i will try leaving both in the ground near the house next winter, any successes down south doing this??
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

fieldfest wrote:tandarra supposed to be slightly hardier i read, i will try leaving both in the ground near the house next winter, any successes down south doing this??
I had a maurelii survive in ground for a few years with protection, but it was a weedy thing that only reached around 5ft each year. It was killed last winter... The Tandarra Red didn't survive one winter outside.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

The Codfather wrote:My red is the same as yours San.....did you get it from ebay by any chance ??????
yeah 2.99 for a plug plant, this is my experiement for this year :lol: plenty of feed and water in the growing months and it should rocket away i have measured when i got it and it was only 10cms tall, and it now measures at 23cms. :)
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i bought a tandarra off ebay in january was about 6 inches tall, its currently chucking about 2.5ft tall and chucking out 18 inch leaves :-) my indoor wintered maurelii got Red Spider Mite so has been cut down but is regrowing :-(
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

are you feeding it now and where is it ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

They are both the same plant,how the plant has been grown plays a part,in minimal differences.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

mushtaq86 wrote:They are both the same plant,how the plant has been grown plays a part,in minimal differences.
Not sure I agree, as the Tandarra Red has a more green leaf with a burgundy edge, where as Maurelii is more evenly burgundy.

In Ethiopia there are over 70 named landraces, (cultivars) all derived from Ensete ventricosum, many are similar, but the farmers can tell the difference, and describe the cultivation processes for each one.

Tandarra Red may be a slightly different outcome from TC, but that was exactly what the Ethiopian Farmers noticed in their breeding process over the last millenium :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mushtaq86 »

Dave Brown wrote:
mushtaq86 wrote:They are both the same plant,how the plant has been grown plays a part,in minimal differences.
Not sure I agree, as the Tandarra Red has a more green leaf with a burgundy edge, where as Maurelii is more evenly burgundy.

In Ethiopia there are over 70 named landraces, (cultivars) all derived from Ensete ventricosum, many are similar, but the farmers can tell the difference, and describe the cultivation processes for each one.

Tandarra Red may be a slightly different outcome from TC, but that was exactly what the Ethiopian Farmers noticed in their breeding process over the last millenium :wink:
I asked this question to Gabe15 on the Bananas.org last year,and that's what he told me.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I don't think they are the same plant, very similar, but not the same. My maurelii & Tandarra Red looked different, but were grown in the exact same conditions...