Canna

dorothy

Re: Canna

Post by dorothy »

Hi I have attempted to grow some canna seed.I have nicked the shells, put them in water for a couple of days and then into compost with a bag over the pots.I have them in my conservatory which has been warm but the temp does drop at night.Am I doing it right because I would love to have some plants from these.If things don't work out, then I am going to have to wait till BQ get some in.

Dorothy :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

Not much else to do but wait dorothy,

Look here:

http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/growi ... -seed.html

Good luck! icon_cheers
kata

Post by kata »

Ste,

As your new to Canas grow from seed. Buy from a reputable seed grower/seller

icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am having trouble waking up 2 different variety of canna's from last year! My ones that grew to 5ft :(
kata

Post by kata »

Its hardly 'waking up time' san,

You are in too much of a hurry, and you can't hurry nature. I don't want to rush from spring to summer. That means winter will soon be upon us. Lets enjoy whats 'coming gradually'.

I woke to freezing fog this morning. Expect anything weather wise, risk nothing cus sure as eggs are egss, nature in the form of frost will nip your bototom.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

March/April is the time to waking kata :lol: especially if you want good flowering periods through the summer.

I have checked the rhizomes and they have had it which will explain why they are not waking up :roll:

Never mind you win some you lose some.... gives me more of an excuse to buy some new seeds now. I have 9 replacements of the same kind any way already growing so all is not lost, rhizomes just grow a bit quicker thats all. i did have a issue with mold back in early jan so i should think that is what killed them off, this year all my canna's are staying in the ground a part from my cleopatra's.
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Shame about your rhizomes, i lost about half of mine. Ive got some of that powder now though so next year, i will dust all the rhizomes and hopefully no more fungus! Good thing is they mutiply quickly icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah thats true mate, i still have my musifolia x2, brasilensis x3, cleopatra's x2 all being rhizomes, and now my flaccida x3 seedlings, plus my other 12 seedlings being indica and generalis marabout. so all is not lost i suppose. :)

That power sounds like a good investment, where did you buy it from, i reckon i will buy some of that.
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Yeah youll have loads more this summer then :D

I got it from my local garden center, they had two colours but apparently theyre both the same stuff, just the colours different.. one green and one yellow i think icon_scratch
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thats strange why they make them in different colours aint it?

Yeah im hoping for a good batch come the end of summer :)
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

heres my canna's bengal tiger and red humbert, took a few home cos they got too big for the office...
3ft tall already :lol: :lol:
from left to right tropicanna phasion, tandarra red banana, sikkimensis, colocasia, red humbert
LGIM0104.jpg
from left to right colocasia red humbert, mum icon_scratch , bengal canna
LGIM0103.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

If i was you fieldfest i would seriously have them outdoors mate during the day, else if not come late spring/early summer when things really start to heat up all that foilage will get burnt and ruined mate and it would be a shame to see all that go to waste.

I already have my seedlings outside and there only 10 inches tall at the minute. i just make sure that there back in as the sun has just about gone down. Stunning canna's though mate well done :wink:
Ste

Post by Ste »

kata wrote:Ste,

As your new to Canas grow from seed. Buy from a reputable seed grower/seller

icon_cheers
Im too impatient though kata to try from seed. I want to buy a couple that are already grown :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Should'nt be long now Ste,

My Ensete is due any day now..they said they ship them out April icon_cheers

icon_cheers icon_cheers
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

dorothy wrote:Hi I have attempted to grow some canna seed.I have nicked the shells, put them in water for a couple of days and then into compost with a bag over the pots.I have them in my conservatory which has been warm but the temp does drop at night.Am I doing it right because I would love to have some plants from these.If things don't work out, then I am going to have to wait till BQ get some in.

Dorothy :roll:
you would be better giving them a constant bottom heat in a propagator, to get them off to a good start,

or keep bringing them into a warmer area at night, and returning them during the day.
i find that 25c gets them off well, and then you can remove the heat and just have them in a light and airy but warm spot,

you have to remember they come from much warmer climates than ours so they need a little coaxing