Canna

Ste

Canna

Post by Ste »

Ive only really been interested in palms but looking through a book I purchased yesterday (tropicalismo) I really like the look of the 'canna tropicana' the colours are great.

Are these ok to be left in pots? I cant plant anything in the ground. If they are, how quick do they grow and do they get too big for a pot or can they be cut back once they get big as I dont have the space I want in my garden. They overwinter in zone 7b-10 so should be ok for most of us. I like the 'benal tiger' aswell, think I may have to purchase these 2 as long as they do ok in pots.
The Codfather

Re: Canna

Post by The Codfather »

They can be grown in pots and then just move the pots into a frost free garge or shed.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

You will have to keep on re-potting the canna(s) though ste as the roots grow very quickly, my seedlings are now 25cms tall and have been re-potted twice now and need re doing again.
Canna's don't like to have there root growth restricted too much, if it does have the growth will be a lot shorter and flowers smaller too.

This is a pic of my nans potted canna from last year.
Attachments
my nans canna.jpg
my nans canna.jpg (42.2 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My nans canna that year reached a height of 3ft i think in the pot, the canna's i had in the ground of the same variety reached just over 5ft :wink:
Ste

Post by Ste »

Brilliant thanks. I will have them in a bigger pot than that though but if they got to around 3-4ft and stopped that height that would be perfect
Ste

Post by Ste »

I can get the canna 'Bengal Tiger' from the palm centre but does anyone know where I can get the 'Tropicana' from?
Theres plenty of seeds available but I dont want seeds, I just want the plant :lol: :lol:
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

you could try hart canna... http://www.hartcanna.co.uk/

or jungle seeds.... http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/PlantOrd ... k/d12.html

or reedy meadow http://www.reedymeadownursery.co.uk/index.html
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

If you look for 'Phasion', which is now the official registered name or 'Durban' you might be able to track it down more easily. 'Tropicanna' is an illicit name, wrongly applied by an Australian company who claimed (!!!) to have discovered it. I'd bought it as 'Durban' from Ian Cooke and had it flowering here prior to its 'discovery' so in this instance the attempted hi-jack failed. The name has stuck however, but it is the wrong name and should not be used. BTW 'Bengal Tiger' is properly known as 'Pretoria', but also goes by the name 'Striata', malawiensis 'variegata', 'Striped Wonder' and worse still 'Tropicanna Gold'. Another attempted hi-jack!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Ste wrote:I can get the canna 'Bengal Tiger' from the palm centre but does anyone know where I can get the 'Tropicana' from?
Theres plenty of seeds available but I dont want seeds, I just want the plant :lol: :lol:
Ste.
If you wait a while you'll find places like B&Q and most garden centres selling both those plants for about £6 -8. The proper names (or the ones I use) are: Striata and Durban.
Its the better option imo as you get to see what you are buying. I've been down the road of buying canna plants online, and having to bin them when they turned up because they were virused. I do them mostly from seed now, as I think its safer, plus they usually flower within 3-5 months of sowing.

Didnt see your post until I submitted mine Dave.
Bob

Post by Bob »

DaveP wrote:If you look for 'Phasion', which is now the official registered name or 'Durban' you might be able to track it down more easily. 'Tropicanna' is an illicit name, wrongly applied by an Australian company who claimed (!!!) to have discovered it. I'd bought it as 'Durban' from Ian Cooke and had it flowering here prior to its 'discovery' so in this instance the attempted hi-jack failed. The name has stuck however, but it is the wrong name and should not be used. BTW 'Bengal Tiger' is properly known as 'Pretoria', but also goes by the name 'Striata', malawiensis 'variegata', 'Striped Wonder' and worse still 'Tropicanna Gold'. Another attempted hi-jack!
Which reminds me Dave, I bought these two canna last year with dutch pictured labels as indica from a £ shop GC.
The flowering plants look nothing like the labels and were eventually id'd as 'Striped Beauty' and 'Cleopatra' (thanks Ade)

DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Great buy Bob. Both Cannas tend to be less commonly available and are highly desirable. I'm especially fond of 'Striped Beauty' and although Canna virus decimated my collection some years ago making me reluctant to re-stock, just recently I relented and bought 'Striped Beauty' (aka 'Minerva', 'Nirvana' - don't you love all of these aliases? :) )
Ste

Post by Ste »

Thanks for the replies guys. £6-8 from B&Q sounds a good price but im too impatient and cant wait until they come in stock so will probably pay the £19.95 for the emerging 'Bengal Tiger' from the palm centre :lol: :lol:
Ste

Post by Ste »

Bob, do you know the proper name for the one you have in your photo? It looks great, wouldnt mind one of them, even though I have no room for anything else. Sure one could squeeze in somewhere :lol:
Bob

Post by Bob »

Ste wrote:Bob, do you know the proper name for the one you have in your photo? It looks great, wouldnt mind one of them, even though I have no room for anything else. Sure one could squeeze in somewhere :lol:

Ste,
The yellow flower is 'Striped Beauty' the one below it which has both yellow and orange flowers is 'Cleopatra'.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Thanks Bob, will have to try and find where I can buy these varieties from icon_thumleft