Tetrapanax Rex - will it spout from main trunk again?

Stevo

Tetrapanax Rex - will it spout from main trunk again?

Post by Stevo »

Hi all,

This is my first time to the forum and I would love some advice if possible?

My TRex lost its growing tip this year and I was wonderig if it will sprout again fron lower down the main trunk?

I know it will pup etc, but I'll be gutted if I loose the main stem. It's 4 years old and 5 feet tall.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.
Steve
leewatson1980

Re: Tetrapanax Rex - will it spout from main trunk again?

Post by leewatson1980 »

Hi Stevo, yeah it should sprout from lower down, my T rex lost its growing point in winter but then sprouted 2 new buds lower down icon_cheers icon_cheers , and then got eaten by slugs :( , Im just hoping for more buds.

Lee
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Cool. Some possible good news! Thanks.

I have been pretty worried about it!

Was yours covered up? Mine had straw and fleece around it (same as I do every year). But It seemed to get damp this year and the tip just rotted off. I don't think it was actually the cold.

The rest of the trunk is still solid so fingers crossed!

Thanks.
S
leewatson1980

Post by leewatson1980 »

I just put a bit of straw over the top and then forgot about it.

I planted mine out mid summer last year and it only got to about 6inch so they/it must be tough plants.

I would say yours will be fine if it has a solid trunk, probably best put some slug pellets down to be on the safe side.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Lee
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Mine has had damage to the growing points but I have buds at every old leaf base, not sure if they will all become branches or individual leaves, I would imagine branches.
Whatever, my Tetrapanax is going to have a different look compared to other years.
Madahlia

Post by Madahlia »

Mine was planted last spring, did well, but now looks like a dead stick in the ground. Any hope for it, do you think?
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Mine's a dead stick too, but a pup emerged near the base a few days ago, so keep your eyes peeled!
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Thanks all. And good luck!
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Tell you what. My Trex is resprouting from the trunk or rather from that bit of the trunk that did not freeze icon_cheers
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

Here's mine today, main growing stem is toast (no protection over winter) but as you can see, sprouting well from lower down and various runners appearing everywhere!
Attachments
Trex.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine were all killed to almost ground level. They have sprouted again but from about 6 inches. I have reduced the side shoots to one, as they seem a bit like Paulownia, if you want big leaves limit to one stem.

I'm also removing the pups which seem to grow at ten times the rate of the sprouts on the stem. You have to try to channel it's energy where you want it, not where it wants it :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by countrylover »

That's a pretty good advice Dave, thanks. I wonder if these removed shoots can be rooted icon_scratch
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

My main stem is dead after being in the ground for 1 year & a large pot a year before that. Started pupping around 3 or 4 weeks ago & now upto pup no 13 :shock: . Almost every day I check on it now there's a new pup & it's showing no signs of slowing down, Quite the opposite in fact

I'm
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

countrylover wrote:That's a pretty good advice Dave, thanks. I wonder if these removed shoots can be rooted icon_scratch
I put some in a glass of water, a couple of weeks ago, just to see what happened. You have to reduce it to just the central fist or it has too much leaf to survive. I rooted these in pots covered with plastic bags in the poly last spring. The stems currently have the little white blisters forming, which if like Brugs are where the roots form from. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by countrylover »

Sounds promising. I have many people asking about Trex cuttings, the plant is totally unknown in Poland maybe because considered as not hardy at all.
I wish I was home right now. I miss my garden so much.