Banana plants on the move

mushtaq86

Banana plants on the move

Post by mushtaq86 »

temps in my greenhouse have been hitting 30c since the past week,and the nanas are starting to move along nicely.I didn't have time to take pics on them all so here are some of the pics,of my varieties.
Attachments
1.jpg
Musa ae ae.jpg
Musa ae ae 1.jpg
Musa african rhino.jpg
Musa basjoo.jpg
Musa bordelon.jpg
Musa dwarf jamican.jpg
Musa dwarf orinoco.jpg
Musa ebun musak.jpg
Musa ele ele.jpg
mushtaq86

Re: Banana plants on the move

Post by mushtaq86 »

Pictures continued
Attachments
musa french horn.jpg
Musa manzano.jpg
Musa prying hands.jpg
Musa red iholene.jpg
Musa saba.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i'd like a nana greenhouse :)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

LOVING that greenhouse! Is that how you overwintered them? Did the fan heaters work?...if so what was the lowest temps you got to and how much were the heaters on for please?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's the biggest bunch of nanas I've ever seen!

:DD
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Tom2006 wrote:LOVING that greenhouse! Is that how you overwintered them? Did the fan heaters work?...if so what was the lowest temps you got to and how much were the heaters on for please?
Hi Tom

Majority of my nanas always stay in the greenhouse every year, i have always used thermostatic elec fan heaters as they are the best, its more hassle using other methods.Temperature was kept at 14c to 15c this winter.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

cordyman wrote:i'd like a nana greenhouse :)
Id prefer a tropical climate :lol: :lol: :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

when will you be planting them all out?

where did you get your greenhouse from?

how much does it cost to heat over winter?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi some of the leaves look like they are dying.Am I wrong or is that how they normally look like after winter? Being a novice if they were mine, I would have thought they has popped their cloggs :roll:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

mushtaq86 wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:LOVING that greenhouse! Is that how you overwintered them? Did the fan heaters work?...if so what was the lowest temps you got to and how much were the heaters on for please?
Hi Tom

Majority of my nanas always stay in the greenhouse every year, i have always used thermostatic elec fan heaters as they are the best, its more hassle using other methods.Temperature was kept at 14c to 15c this winter.
That is an amazing temperature considering the winter we have just had. What was your electric bill!?!? :lol: I am thinking of doing something on a much smaller scale with these put up yourself poly green houses. I plan to then have a heater like you have to come on when the temps start to drop really low. Did you have any issues with mould etc?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
grub

Post by grub »

dorothy wrote:Hi some of the leaves look like they are dying.Am I wrong or is that how they normally look like after winter? Being a novice if they were mine, I would have thought they has popped their cloggs :roll:
The speed Nanas grow when the weather kicks in Dorothy means it's nothing to worry about, I get a six foot leaf a week when we get a summer :roll:
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

That is an amazing temperature considering the winter we have just had. What was your electric bill!?!? :lol: I am thinking of doing something on a much smaller scale with these put up yourself poly green houses. I plan to then have a heater like you have to come on when the temps start to drop really low. Did you have any issues with mould etc?[/quote]

Hi Tom

Never had any issues with mould as the elec fan heater keeps air moving,its the best all round heating source for plants.You don't want to know my electric bill for this year :roll:
Last edited by mushtaq86 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

dorothy wrote:Hi some of the leaves look like they are dying.Am I wrong or is that how they normally look like after winter? Being a novice if they were mine, I would have thought they has popped their cloggs :roll:
Hi Dorothy

When overwintering nanas,previous year growth will start to die as soon as new growth appears that's if they have been put on hold.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

cordyman wrote:when will you be planting them all out?

where did you get your greenhouse from?

how much does it cost to heat over winter?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Half of my nanas get planted out in May,when they have put on good growth in the greenhouse. the other half stay inside.My greenhouse was from Argos i think they still do them,its 8ft high 10ft long.In previous winters my greenhouse has being runing at 10c to 12c costing around £200 pounds, elec bill over winter months,this winter i decided to run my greenhouse at 14c to 16c costing me £500 pounds :roll:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I lost a lot of my musas this year because of keeping the greenhouse at a lower temp.But tbh I had far too many in the first place :shock: :lol: I'm now just down to around 20 varieties,but some of those I've got in quite big numbers.
Got about 25+ ensete hinibas to shift once I get back from disney next weekend along with a few decent sized burmese blues.And depending on how it goes with selling I'll sell off some of my one offs too.Just so I don't kill them of next winter :roll:
I'll be keeping my aeae and tanee though,better state that right now :lol: