cycad going brown/ white

Sat

cycad going brown/ white

Post by Sat »

After storing in garage over winter, it been outside 2 -3 months but the leaves all turning brown, white?

Any ideas why ?
Attachments
SDC15031.JPG
dk

Re: cycad going brown/ white

Post by dk »

They don't like strong sun if they've been kept indoors or under glass in poor light for a long time. I lost all leaves on a small one a few years ago. Luckily it regrew new leaves in the summer but it can take some time and you need to mimic the monsoon conditions it gets in its native habitat i Asia during the summer. Hot and humid with plenty of water.

This exceptional strong april sun has been very relentless and I notice purple leaves on a few of my yuccas. Some plants like cycas revoluta need to be gradually moved into full sun if they've been grown in poor light.
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Have you got it situated in full sun? If so then I think the hot sun is possibly bleaching the fronds. I had one do this and I ended up moving it to a sem-shaded area where it seemed to prevent any further digression of the problem to other leaves but the bleached leaves remained that way.

Keith
kata

Post by kata »

Can Cycas come green in the shade?

Mine still has varigation but also quite a bit of green. I had it out triple wrapped in winter, but now its in shade.

Any benefits to drowning it now as well as june?

:lol: :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

kata wrote:Can Cycas come green in the shade?
Kata yours will not regain the green in the current "variegated leaves" You'll have to wait until a new flush comes along.
kata

Post by kata »

Do they die off or do we trim them down?

And how to prevent yellowing.

Thanks Kris!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Yellowing is caused by them been exposed to too much sun after overwintering indoors or the leaves starting to die which could be old age or more often after a harsh winter. The white/yellow leaves are dead leaves whereas yellow/green leaves are still alive. I guess the best thing to do is remove the old damaged dead leaves after the plant has flushed and produced a new lot of leaves.(BTW I haven't had a cycas flush yet!!!)
kata

Post by kata »

Hi Kris,

It was in a sunny position after the winter, working on the theory they love the heat. I hope they will fall out the yellow fronds, they look a mess trimmed back. It was a new palm last winter. I triple wrapped it in winter with fleece, the outer fleece had Icicles on it, even brought it right up to the house.

I got one off RedS last year and he had to trim all the fronds back, I can't wait to drown that one this summer.

So, you never got a flush yet. I won't tell you what not to do but will tell you what I did.

As soon as June hits get the washing bowl full to the brim with water drown the palm, do this three or four times in a row. Keep drowning it for about two weeks or untill it flushes.

I used to do mine after dark when no one was looking lol We had just had a mini monsoon so me throwing bowl after bowl of water would have looked suspect :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope you get a flush this year Kris cus it would make that lovely garden of your complete.
icon_cheers icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I will have to do that Kata. I did water it really well last June hoping for a flush but got nothing. I'm starting to think it's a plastic one :lol: :lol:

I will give it ago this June.

Kris
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

throw a dose of chempak no2 on it and swear strongly at the same time. swearing at it wont have the slightest effect on the plant whatsoever but might make you feel better about it icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

What RedS said :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I will add. If you have a hosepipe and regulator put it to fast as heck and aim directly for the centre...blast it out the pot. icon_cheers icon_cheers

I got four new fronds with my bowls of water.