Hello from tropical Australia

Troppoz

Hello from tropical Australia

Post by Troppoz »

Hi there everyone - just came across your site and have really enjoyed reading your posts and looking at your wonderful gardens.

Im from Darwin in the north of Australia, 12.6' south of the equator similiar latitude to Bangkok so as you can imagine have a tropical garden as well, but dont have to put quite so much thought and effort into things as you people do. Our climate is sub-equatorial and monsoonal so daytime temps are usually 30-33'C and high humidity and torrential rainfall for half the year ('Wet Season), dry sunny days and clear skies for the rest ('Dry Season')... How does that sound to you all for a climate?!

I would like to take some pics of my garden and post them here so you can see what you are missing out on by living in the polar regions... But I am truly amazed by what you can achieve up there. A lot of local gardens here fail to look as beautiful as yours.

I can relate to growing plants outside of your climatic area - I used to have a thing for trying to grow cool climate plants like rhododendrons, camellias, magnolias and even peach, plums and apples trees. A lot of these grew well in the Dry season but suffered during really heavy wet seasons when we can have constant downpours for weeks on end during January and February. I lost a lot of magnolias and rhododenrons to one extreme wet a few years ago so gave that hobby up as a bad joke... Now I just stick with tropicals but I am so fed up with palms!!! I have been spending thousands of $$$ having huge palms cut down that we planted 30 years ago and now just spread so much mess over the gardens and bring in the rats and bats - so good luck to you all with your efforts with palms! They are weed here...

I had to smile reading your posts about strelitzias especially the Bird of Paradise... Darwin is too hot to grow the Bird of Paradise with much success and they never flower here. I had one for over 12 years that only threw out one leaf a year and in the end I euthanased it and planted bromeliads there instead. S. nicolai grows far too well here and does look amazing, but as tempted as I am to plant one I just dont have the space for one. I do have a rather old Travellers Palm (Ravenala) which are like a S. nicolai but with a solitary trunk instead of a massive clump and it has flowers on it at the moment so will take a pic and post it. At the moment we are at the end of a very good Wet so not too much colour in the garden in the way of flowers, most plants are just growing madly right now and leave the flowering to the Dry, which is a lot cooler than it is now (relatively ...). I do have some pics of some orchids and hibiscus from last dry so will post those.

I dont know if it is possible to just post seeds/cuttings/rhizomes through the post to the UK but if so am happy to send what I can if I can... It could be worth trying some of the heliconias and caladiums- I send them to my Mum in Canberra which is bloody cold by Australian standards believe me. They usually do well in the post and she has great success with caladiums indoors. The heliconias would most likely need a heated greenhouse I would expect but hey never would have expected a Monstera to grow outdoors unheated.

Not sure what else I have that could be able to survive up there. Maybe Xanthostoma which is a bloody great big elephant ear, and of course the 'common' elephant ear Macrorhiza as well. I'll have a look around and see what I find... Would it be worth trying Frangipani (Plumeria)? Have a few gingers as well including some Hedychiums which you would probably already have. Have plenty of palms and lilly pillys seedlings which could do alright indoors The palm seedling I just pull out of my garden in fistfulls as weeds so it wont be any loss if they die on the other side if the world. Lilly pillys (Syzgium) are a native rainforest tree with edible berries. I have known of them to be grown as indoor plants in Australia so cant see why they couldnt in the UK. And besides they are another one that I have to pull out in the thousands or else I will just have a garden of hundreds of huge trees!

Well I have blabbed on enough while you are all in bed - it is a lovely sunny afternoon here but could get a storm in the evening - Darwin is the most lightning prone city in the world apparently...

you must come and visit!

Sean (Troppoz) :mrgreen:
AndyC

Re: Hello from tropical Australia

Post by AndyC »

Hi Sean and welcome. Thanks for a great introduction to what you grow. I'm very envious of you climate so it seems strange that you should want to grow cool temperate plants. Love to see some pictures of you garden before you chop all your palms down :)
There aren't any restrictions on sending seeds in the post but I think there is the possibility that live plant material can be confiscated it it isn't certificated. That hasn't stopped people sending stuff as some of us have had material from a guy in Queensland before which came in under the radar :D
I've tried growing Caladiums and had quite a few before our Summer 2007. It was so cold and wet that within a month of planting them out (end of June) they were all dead. Some you win some you loose.
Andy
Libby

Post by Libby »

Hi and welcome, bit far for a the forum to visit your garden :D
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

OK have uploaded some existing pics but have yet to get out to take some new pics but here are some for you to see
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Hmmm... it seems that my pics are 100 pixels too wide to upload. Anyone have any ideas how i can make the pics fit? Otherwise you will just have to close your eyes and imagine...
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Hi Sean,

Welcome to HTUK! Although this is a UK-based board, there's several other members from around the globe, and their contributions are much valued as it's very interesting finding out what they're growing in their climate, and seeing plants which we struggle so hard to grow growing like weeds for them!

For downsizing the images - try going to this topic, and using the software that lucien has suggested. There's recently been a decrease in the picture size allowed (to save memory space), so that's probably why your pics won't upload, but try using that piece of software and see if it works for you.

I currently have a Heliconia Schiediana just about surviving in the greenhouse. It's just starting to put out some news leaves, so hopefully should make a slow recovery over the year. I'll have to keep it perhaps a little warmer next year :lol:

Thanks, and have fun!

Pete
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

One thing I forgot - at the top, just under the 'forum' tab, you'll see a link to chatroom. There's quite often someone in there, so if you ever have a spare minute pop in and say hi. The most popular time is usually a Saturday night over here (not sure what time that is for you?), but people are usually in there most evening and sometimes during the day (like me :lol: ).

Thanks, take care

Pete
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Sean
I use this freeware for reducing phot size etc. Really easy to use
http://www.irfanview.com/
Andy
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Hi Sean and welcome, its always nice to hear of how people deal with the plants we are attempting to grow elsewhere.

look forward to some photos!!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hi Sean,
Welcome to the Forum :D
Can't wait to see pics of your garden,can't imagine Having to cut down palms will ever be a problem for us here :lol:
I'm pretty sure sending plant materials fine its the receiving of it that causes the problems.But normally aslong as whatever it is thats being posted isn't declared as plant material you should be fine.Normally declaring it as a gift etc. is enough to clear customs.
I keep pestering my Sister(NZ) to send me stuff,but she's too chicken to do it :roll:
I'm sure if I keep on asking she's bound to crack :lol:
bodster

Post by bodster »

welcome to the board. theres some nice plants in australia. Will be good to see your pics

Martin
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum :D

As others have said get the pics up please :D , as far as posting seeds to the uk it is fine and although live plants are not alowed many of us get regular packages of live plants with customs declerations of 'Gift' sent to us via another forum from a well known Ex pat in Queensland, si I for one would have no problem accerting your kind offer :D :D , after all the victorians brought plants back from all over the world or we would not have the great diversity of plants we have here now :D

Gary
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Sean, And welcome. Like the others have said its good to see what you are growing over there. Most of it it what we are struggling to grow over here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the forum 8)

I saw you post about the problem uploading pics. I have removed the limit for pic size now, as it was causing a few people problems, but there is a file size limit of 2mb. Please have another go at loading them as we are all picaholics on here. :wink:

Cheers
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Troppoz »

OK thankyou all for the warm friendly welcome.

I have nutted out the pic thingy and have been having some problems so will post 3 pics at a time. Mostly of orchid and hibiscus flowers but I will also sneak one in of my 'kids'....

I will go out into the garden tomorrow and take a few more pics of the dreaded palms, and also send you some pics of a 30 metre tall coconut palm that we had cut down a couple of years ago - they carried it out with a crane. Bolldy thing was a real menace - the nuts dropping from that height would have killed someone had they landed on them...

Enjoy the pics!
Attachments
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG