Is this W.robusta and Phoenix canariensis ?

Las Palmas Norte

Re: Is this W.robusta and Phoenix canariensis ?

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Dave Brown wrote:Image 1 ) Centre ones are Washingtonia filifera with stout trunks and a much larger crown then W. robusta. Either side are Phoenix canariensis Phoenix canariensis_CIDP very tightly trimmed. :wink:

Image 2 ) They are both Phoenix canariensis Phoenix canariensis_CIDP the tall one has a tightly trimmed trunk. The shorter one has a much more lax trimmed trunk. Meaning the leaf bases have not been cut as close in, or the stalks have been left longer :wink:
Bang on Dave, my thoughts exactly.
Cheers, Barrie.
StyleGarden

Post by StyleGarden »

Dave Brown wrote:Image 1 ) Centre ones are Washingtonia filifera with stout trunks and a much larger crown then W. robusta. Either side are Phoenix canariensis Phoenix canariensis_CIDP very tightly trimmed. :wink:

Image 2 ) They are both Phoenix canariensis Phoenix canariensis_CIDP the tall one has a tightly trimmed trunk. The shorter one has a much more lax trimmed trunk. Meaning the leaf bases have not been cut as close in, or the stalks have been left longer :wink:

Is it possible to have that short Phoenix canariensis_CIDP like that forever or wil it eventually grow as tall as the other one? Is the short one younger in age or is it just trimmed in a different way?
I prefer Phoenix canariensis_CIDP when they look like the short one.
Is it possible to decide the height of Phoenix canariensis_CIDP?
AlanWMids

Post by AlanWMids »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
grub wrote:I'd say they're Washies and not Sabals, especially when you take cost and availability into account. icon_thumright
I would have thought washies would have had a thinner trunk?
Apart from the trunk it does look like a washy to me though. icon_thumright

Here is a photo of a similar looking palm that is a sabal
Nice picture of those Sabal palmettos......their leaf shape is different from Washingtonia or Trachycarpus in that the rachis (leaf stalk) extends in to the leaflets giving the whole fan a curved appearance rather than it being held in a flat plane. It's sort of a halfway house between being palmate (hand shaped) and pinnate (feather shaped) like a Phoenix.

Alan
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

AlanWMids wrote "Sabal palmettos......their leaf shape is different from Washingtonia or Trachycarpus in that the rachis (leaf stalk) extends in to the leaflets giving the whole fan a curved appearance"

This form is known as costapalmate.

Cheers, Barrie.