I want more plants.

Rachelpalm

I want more plants.

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I thought I had finished buying plants but I now want a bamboo and a tree fern and another palm. I also have 2 banana plants on the way( the first 2 got lost in the post I think). I spend hours looking online at tropical plants and just want more, lol.

What plants do you now want for your garden?
GoggleboxUK

Re: I want more plants.

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'm far too impulsive to have a plants 'want list' as I tend to buy when I come across something I think looks good.

Saying that, I 'm a palm nut so anything I think might survive here is always something I'm on the lookout for. Oh, and couple more big Cycads.

:DD
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I constantly want more plants! :lol:

As my garden is so tiny every possible bare patch of soil has been planted in & when I lose a plant from the winter the sadness is soon replaced with excitement that I have a spot to try something else :D
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have a huge conifer out back on left hand side border, thinking of cutting that down and putting bamboo there instead. You should see my Ebay watching list, lol. Have about 50 plants on it, lol. I think buying and planting new plants is addictive icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Don't normally have a burning 'wish list', but just seen Begonia Gryphon on the Chelsea lunchtime show. Doesn't sound hardy, but I can live with that. Definately on my list.

I can't buy plants on impulse as I love variegated and deep purple/black foliage plants, but they only look good with something to contrast with. A whole border of variegated or black plants would look decidedly odd or chaotic :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello Dave

I also love black plants. I have black adder phormiums in my back garden. I think they look like giant spiders, lol
dino

Post by dino »

I had Phormium All Black which looks stunning but sadly didn't survive the winter.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I want some musa basjoo and that should be me done :D
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

New petunias planted two weeks ago in the basket are black or near as you can get to black, beside those are a purple/mauve Petunia so they will look great once we get sun.

Been to Homebase and got Nice Geranium small flower (pink). I also bought eight Dalhlia for £5.00. I bought the Ensete. Lillies, Begonias. Last week cana Lillies three for £4.50 at sainburys but.

You must have seen such a plant. I think its name begins with letter 'Z' a long name. I and another couple believe its in the Canna Lily family of plants. Very tall (Its starting to sound like a quiz :lol: :lol: ) comes in yellow as custard, and also saw a purple. I was going to buy one last week then decided to wait a couple of weeks cus I need other plants.

Anyone know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT:

I did my search and find there the two, one is Canna Lily, the other is Cala Lily. Its the Calla Lily I want next, maybe tomorrow as today its pouring with rain and windy.

Its the yellow I want, but then if they drop the price by next week, maybe two different colors, I love these...They have both in store.
Attachments
calalily.jpg
calalily.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 987 times
Last edited by kata on Sat May 28, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Here's Colocasia Black Magic growing under mammoth last year - this is a nicely dark plant when kept in the sun
Attachments
11092010122.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Yes but Scott, is it new?

What other plants have you bought/be thinking of buying.

Big leaves on your plant, Is'nt that called Elephant Ears?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

kata wrote:Yes but Scott, is it new?

What other plants have you bought/be thinking of buying.

Big leaves on your plant, Is'nt that called Elephant Ears?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi Kata yes you're right elephant ears, but tha's an altogether too common name for Colocasia, Alocasia, Xanthosoma, Remusatia so none to accurate. It's not new for me as had it for past few years now. For another dark plant Colocasia fontanessii is a superb plant with darkest purple stems and leaf veins, dark green vinyl leaves and yellow calla lily like flowers.

I went to Focus diy today as they were selling things off as closing down :( where I managed to find the famous Focus Colocasia esculenta - so often discussed on this very site which we believe to be misidentified C. Mammoth. The tubers are equally big as the mammoths I had within a small percentage. On top of that . esculenta tubers go more oval than round as they get larger, and these from Focus are most definitely round like the mammoth ones I had already. Plus interestingly a couple of them have already started to show shoots coming and they are a definite pink colour - I'll take a pic of them for here tomorrow. Mammoth from wilcos were said before to have pink at base of stems and the Focus ones not. So it'll be interesting to see wat the 9 I bought grow into once I can get them in the heated propagator.

Other plants I've bought are some alocasias off ebay which will be coming next month frydek (gorgeous green leaves with white veins), porteii and solid gold (a yellow stemmed Alocasia macrorrhizos). Plus I have also managed to get the extremely rare Cyrtosperma johnstonii too so look forward to getting that really soon. I'm off to Kew gardens on the 9th (knife in pocket :wink: ) to see what I can bring home with me.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Kata,do you mean Zantedescia ? If so then yes calla is the common name for them. The white one is the original species .N
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

nige pook wrote:Kata,do you mean Zantedescia ? If so then yes calla is the common name for them. The white one is the original species .N
I think she does mean Zantedeschia as these are the calla lillies by common name and they come in all colours including the custard yellow and purple though as you say the common origoinal one is white. Interestingly I got one of these from a wild lot growing up in the hills of madeira last month
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Scott, I just bought to of these from Focus. Out of interest how do you get them started please?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.