Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

piechnik99

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by piechnik99 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:39 am

Silly question - how do you know the fruit is ripe? Also, I read somewhere the top growth dies back but the root is hardy (if mulched?)

paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:39 am

Here's a pic of one of mine, it's even bigger now
Attachments
image.jpg

Blairs

Post by Blairs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 am

piechnik99 wrote:Silly question - how do you know the fruit is ripe? Also, I read somewhere the top growth dies back but the root is hardy (if mulched?)
The fruits go orange or yellow when ripe.

I do not think that a mulch would work: but I will try this year and see if it is root hardy or not. I have a few plants, so I will try leaving where is mulched, by a wall mulched and a pot in a coldframe mulched so a variety of options to experiment with.

DaveP

Post by DaveP » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:40 am

piechnik99 wrote:Silly question - how do you know the fruit is ripe? Also, I read somewhere the top growth dies back but the root is hardy (if mulched?)
The fruits turn a rather pleasant clear yellow when ripe and in profusion, are almost as attractive as the flowers. I've not grown it up in the Midlands, but I very much doubt that it is root hardy unless given a truly thick mulch to keep surrounding soil temps well above freezing.
Dave in Torquay
When it's cold, it's not so cold :D
When it's hot, it's not so hot :roll:
When it's dry, it's not so dry :|
But when it's wet, it's !!***!! wet icon_aaargh

piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 am

[/quote]The fruits go orange or yellow when ripe.

I do not think that a mulch would work: but I will try this year and see if it is root hardy or not. I have a few plants, so I will try leaving where is mulched, by a wall mulched and a pot in a coldframe mulched so a variety of options to experiment with.[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking of doing the same..... I take the seeds are only viable when the seed pods are ripe - once the plants are frosted I take it the seeds pods won't ripen further?

piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:38 am

DaveP wrote: The fruits turn a rather pleasant clear yellow when ripe and in profusion, are almost as attractive as the flowers. I've not grown it up in the Midlands, but I very much doubt that it is root hardy unless given a truly thick mulch to keep surrounding soil temps well above freezing.
Yeah, it does get pretty cold up here - about 200 metres above sea level. As mentioned earlier in the thread I might try to dig a few up and over winter in the greenhouse. Worth a try?

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:25 am

piechnik99 wrote:I take the seeds are only viable when the seed pods are ripe - once the plants are frosted I take it the seeds pods won't ripen further?
I've collected plenty, if your seeds don't ripen in time.
K's Garden blog last update 30th December 2012, HTUK Blog

piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Kristen wrote: I've collected plenty, if your seeds don't ripen in time.
Thats very good of you! I'll let you know how I get on.... I dug a few out yesterday and put them in the greenhouse - not sure if they'll make it through but at least i'll get a head start next spring (hopefully!)

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:07 pm

I cut all the ripe fruit off mine as highly poisonous to stupid dogs, but its still ripening, losing leaves though.
Attachments
kangarooapple.jpg

Mark L

Post by Mark L » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Paulrm71, is that from one of the ones I gave you last year? I have had hundreds of them coming up everywhere this year from all the dropped fruits last year!
I like to do my gardening with a can of Lilt - for a totally tropical taste!

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:21 am

cheshirepalms wrote:I cut all the ripe fruit off mine as highly poisonous to stupid dogs,
I find that odd, as the berries are glutinous (which I presume is a substance to induce dormancy in the seed - assumption based on that being the case in other genus), strikes me that its a failure of evolution? Surely it would be better for animals to eat the fruits and disperse them ... or maybe the seed germinate best in rotting flesh? <Yuck!>. All "fruits" on Solanum poisonous (e.g. spuds) except for Tomatoes - wonder why they, too, aren't poisonous? Minefield for kids as plant & fruit of Solanum look Tomato-like :( - maybe that's what's confused your dogs too? :lol:

Even Yew have palatable flesh berries surrounding their, poisonous, seeds.
K's Garden blog last update 30th December 2012, HTUK Blog

paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Mark l, yes these are seeds from the original plants you gave me....they are certainly border fillers!! Only had a couple of self seeded ones this year.

Lys

Post by Lys » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Kristen wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:I cut all the ripe fruit off mine as highly poisonous to stupid dogs,
I find that odd, as the berries are glutinous (which I presume is a substance to induce dormancy in the seed - assumption based on that being the case in other genus), strikes me that its a failure of evolution? Surely it would be better for animals to eat the fruits and disperse them ... or maybe the seed germinate best in rotting flesh? <Yuck!>. All "fruits" on Solanum poisonous (e.g. spuds) except for Tomatoes - wonder why they, too, aren't poisonous? Minefield for kids as plant & fruit of Solanum look Tomato-like :( - maybe that's what's confused your dogs too? :lol:

Even Yew have palatable flesh berries surrounding their, poisonous, seeds.
Looks lovely I'll try growing it this year too. Found some info on Chiltern seeds:
These are followed by small, orange, egg-shaped fruits which were used to make jam by the early settlers in its native New Zealand.
I don't think I'll use it in my sarnies though! :?

Blairs

Post by Blairs » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:52 pm

Do not think I would eat the ones on my plants Lys - maybe NZ has more sun.

Mine are still going strong. The large leaves are somewhat battered by the winds. The foliage took some frost, so hardier than I gave them credit for and the stem is getting thick, around 4 inches. I wanted them to die as they are in the wrong place (at front of a border and not is full sun) but if they survive till spring then I will shift them then. My seed pods are still mostly green with a hint of yellow.

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:33 am

Mine is the lance shaped leaf variety as per Chesirepalms pic and not the lobed leaf variety. I use it as a climber over a pergola and its currently about 10ft + high, still in leaf and seems very hardy having come thru the "narnia"winter with no issues. I like it as it flowers profusely and over a very long period and provides good shade for the underlying ferns and shady plants.