Twin headed Cycad

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Twin headed Cycad

Post by Dave Brown »

I mentioned on a previous post that I thought one of my Cycads had produced a double headed flush this year, but it was not easy to see in the photograph. Now the leaves have pushed out a bit more it is easier to see. :)

Does anyone know if this is common? I don't recall seeing any that have split, most seem to pup from ground level, like my large one that has just flushed. :?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

No idea,but it should look pretty cool in a few years time.Well quite alot of years I suppose :lol:

Steve
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I have read about Cycas revoluta being multi-headed before. It does happen, usually as it suckers but it also occasionally produces a cluster of heads on one crown, just like yours. That's extremely rare apparently so you've got a winner there :)

Heres the photo found on the website I read about it from. The one on the right side is the multi-heads on one crown:

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm not 100% sure about this, but thinking back. This Cycad was rather neglected last year in the drought. It was in a tiny 6 inch ceramic pot, and got watered when I remembered. It started to grow a flush of fronds, but I did not water it often, being told they were drought resistant, and the flush died.

I wonder did this kill the growing point :?: and now it has divided :?: Apparently very old Cycas in Japan are multi branched. Is this beacuse the summer rains fail occasionally, and there is enough rain to start the flush off, and then it dries out while growing the fronds :?: This is not something that most people would want to try. :roll: Which might account for the rarity in cultivation. :?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

I must admit this is another plant I would really love to have, better get the 2nd greenhouse up before I go buying anymore plants!!!!
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Libby

these are much hardier than most give em credit, mine had been snowed on, peed on by 3 big lurchers, drowned, dried out and still grows.

In america they are farmed and one year these plants were field grown were snowed on and survived - 11.

yes they lost all thier fronds but they grew back. I read that on the net, got one and have to admit they are tough.

Mixie