Biggest Trex (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') leaves

Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Biggest Trex leaves

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Slightly off topic as it's not mine but i thought it was worth a pic............

Bristol Botanical Gardens T. rex the otherday . Stands about 8 to 10ft high and i think possibly all this years growth having been cut back last winter. Its also double stemmed........

my hand for scale...

pics don't do it justice tbh, its a stunning big plant
Bob

Post by Bob »

Dave Brown wrote:Here is the vidjo, using Arlon language :lol: , it did upload in the end icon_thumright

Sorry to anyone on a dial up line..... it is rather large. I'll re-add the You tube link once I've uploaded it.
Nice vid Dave, icon_thumright. I've done a time lapse of mine growing from scratch this year, when I can get around to compiling the shots I'll put it up.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Slightly off topic as it's not mine but i thought it was worth a pic............

Bristol Botanical Gardens T. rex the otherday . Stands about 8 to 10ft high and i think possibly all this years growth having been cut back last winter. Its also double stemmed........

my hand for scale...

pics don't do it justice tbh, its a stunning big plant
Yep, it's a beauty Mark. Thats something how I'd like mine to look in a year or two. Off the ground, so I can walk around it. :lol:
Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob wrote:edit
i would like to add (maybe out of spite :twisted: ) that bob is not employing a particularly accurate measuring system.

the leaf should be pulled flat and measure from furthest point to furthest point.
leaving the leaf curled and having the measure swiggle all over the leaf must add loads of length.
like measuring your knob from the bottom not the top icon_thumleft :DD
:lol: Deary me........

Image[/quote]

Ooops! make that 1.6m :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0CEJnm05c
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Bob you have not done yourself justice. I get it to measure 1.61m!

Well Done icon_salut
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Bob, use the media tags to show the Youtube pics. :wink:

Mine is now uploaded onto youtube but is not as big wieghing in at 1.38m, however I do have the advantage that mine is not about to flower so the leaves may get bigger yet. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Bob »

Thanks Kris, I think I made my point, but thanks for the extra centimetre anyway. icon_thumright

Dave, I did have a look for the media tag, obviously not hard enough. Thanks for sorting that one out for me. icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Monster leaf Bob and great looking plant. I think I like this flatter leaved one better than the deeper groovy one which I've got here icon_cheers I wonder if you'll have time to collect seed!!!

Good growth here from pups this year, but no great leaf size compared to Bobs. Biggest here about the same as yours Kris.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I had the flat leaf but i dont think it as hardy as the Corrugated mine is not the same as Dave Bob its corrugated but not so lobbed as long as its hardy no pups im happy
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

lol bob,
didn't need to massacre your poor plant.

those two are certainly proper rex clones and i am not sure if i am miffed that plants being sold as 'rex' are very clearly not.

if the one i have survives through winter ok i will be happy with what i got,
even though it will never compete with proper rex sized leaves.
Bob

Post by Bob »

DiCasS wrote:Monster leaf Bob and great looking plant. I think I like this flatter leaved one better than the deeper groovy one which I've got here icon_cheers I wonder if you'll have time to collect seed!!!

Good growth here from pups this year, but no great leaf size compared to Bobs. Biggest here about the same as yours Kris.

Di
If seed can be collected, It'll be done Di. :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I wouldn't get your hopes up about collecting seed as the flowers are not frost hardy. You'll need to protect the flower heads to stand a chance.

Ken, these 2 clones have always be sold/given away/swapped as TRex, so the people selling think they are all the same. It is only when you see the two side by side, or pics in the same topic you see there is a clear difference in size.

I am gearing up to selling a few Mulu descended Rex's next spring, but I only ship small plants due to P&P issues/costs. I have the grooved one's coming out of my ears, but have held back on distributing that one, as is not the 'Monster Rex'

Not strictly on topic but here are previous BIG leaves :wink:

This is the mother plant my flat leaved Rex's came from at Phoenix Gardens in October 2008. We didn't measure it but you could stoop to go under it. THISis one of the more popular topics on TRex
18102008 Phoenix V TRex.jpg
18102008 Phoenix Gardens TRex.jpg
This one was in Ade's garden in a South Coast meet in Sep 2008
140908 SC Meet 01.jpg
This was my big one from last year, but unfortunately being under the eaves was not a protected place in the supercold snowy weather as really cold dense radiation freeze air drained off the roof, pooling under the eaves :roll: Instead of being sheltered and gaining height, to walk under, it was killed back to ground level. :roll: :roll: It is coming back strongly now, but is not as big as last November yet. Here Nov 2010
2010-11-03 15-00-42 two year TRex.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

here is my biggest leaf this year:
ImageImageImage
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... mo1/l7.jpg

here is an old leaf to show the shape of this 'rex'
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... mo1/l1.jpg

ps
since you have both dave do you have any opinion on which is hardier/has less chance of being cut back?

pps
i am 100% positive that 'rexes' with the same shape leaf as mine are the steroidal giant clone and the deeply lobed larger leaved clones are the proper 'rex'
ie
do i win the largest leaved steroid for this year :DD :DD
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ken, read THIS TOPIC It goes through the history of TRex in this country and has Sterodial Giant as an American equivelent to REX, and that Carolpz's is probably one of the variations that came about as it was a seed introduction, not a plant introduction. so there could be many different variations from the original seed. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Mine are doing okay. These are from pups new this year so has put on quite a bit of growth. I decided to leave two or three to fill in gaps. As soon as I left these to grow on, I noticed the amount of pups coming up reduced considerably.
Picture 1744 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.