Yucca linearis

Nigel

Yucca linearis

Post by Nigel »

Or I think actual correct name is Yucca linearifolia. Somebody was talking about this plant here the other day and I think was having difficulty finding them.
I think this is surely the best yucca for the UK. Everybody seems to buy rostratas but this one is more beautiful, more hardy and easier to grow.
When I was running Hardypalms they were almost impossible to buy, and I got hold of a few twice in 3 years.
For anybody interested, Tropical Centre just got some in, buts its not so many plants so they will sell quickly.
http://www.tropicalcentre.com
Simba

Re: Yucca linearis

Post by Simba »

I got this one from them last week Nigel...

I was impressed with them as a seller, and will probably order from them again in future... :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Simba, that is a beauty of a plant. They make rostratas look ugly !!
This is surely the fillet steak of the Yucca world , the palm worlds equivalent of Trachycarpus princeps but much easier to grow !!
P.S. dont get me wrong yucca rostrata is a lot of plant for the money and also well worth its place in the garden.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

They are wonderful Yuccas Nigel.

Mine was planted out 5 years and has grown well and even survived the last two winters without any protection. However, the last winter has caused some mechanical damage to the leaves and some of them have gone a dark kind of purple colour which is a shame it is was starting to develop a fine looking crown to it.

Another fine looking Yucca in my opinion is thompsoniana. I can see the one I bought from you from where I am sitting and I really like the look of it and I am pleased to say it has also survived the last two winters, so it is another tough cookie :)
Simba

Post by Simba »

Lets have some pix of yours Adam, I know your Linearis/Linearifolia is superb..... icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Thank you Simba.

Here are a couple of shots I took last week.

As noted above the last two winters have taken their toll on it, but at least it is still alive and growing.

Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Here it is last summer and you can see the mechanical damage as it was starting to look really good then.

Simba

Post by Simba »

I reckon it'll come back strong mate. It is well established and handled that last winter that was thrown at it...icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Simba wrote:I reckon it'll come back strong mate. It is well established and handled that last winter that was thrown at it...icon_thumleft
Yes, fingers crossed.

Our previous winter was also a very hard one and it came through that as well.

Forgot to say that your new one looks great :)
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Here it is a few months after I planted it back in 2006.

It certainly was in its prime last summer :|
Axel

Post by Axel »

Nigel wrote:Simba, that is a beauty of a plant. They make rostratas look ugly !!
This is surely the fillet steak of the Yucca world , the palm worlds equivalent of Trachycarpus princeps but much easier to grow !!
P.S. dont get me wrong yucca rostrata is a lot of plant for the money and also well worth its place in the garden.
BUMP

Linearifolia is indeed a beautiful yucca.
I noticed this beauty in a frontgarden in Holland. The spherical crown is perfect.
Attachments
yucca.jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Axel, yes, once established, after a few years they look just like this one. It is surely the most beautiful plant you can grow. They also make suckers so you end up with several trunks of varying lengths.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Agree, I already have one that looks identical to the above pic! it was one of your's nigel, the thick trunked lime green versions are also growing superb heads. karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

A beauty on a stick icon_thumright

Just a shame some of the images have gone from the topic though.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Dave Brown wrote:A beauty on a stick icon_thumright

Just a shame some of the images have gone from the topic though.
I am no longer with the company that I used to host the photos and they pulled the plug on hosting files for non-customers a year or two ago.

My one died shortly after I posted the shots above - 2 horrible winter followed by an exceptionally wet summer were too much for it :(