Is this normal for Phoenix roebelenii ?

JakoMonster

Is this normal for Phoenix roebelenii ?

Post by JakoMonster »

Is this how a phoenix roebelenii trunk should look like, is it normal for parts of the trunk to be soft and break of easily and bit of black on it, is it rot ??? :? (Those pictures are of my phoenix roebelenii)
Huddy

Re: Is this normal ?

Post by Huddy »

looks ok-ish to me, as long as the central spear hasn't gone brown or pulled, it should be ok. It wont survive in the ground in the uk.

how long has it been in the ground/ how to you protect it winter? cause it doesn't take frosts
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Jack it all looks fine to me. The dead leaf bases are just breaking down and turning black with age, just like a dead leaf will become dry and brown after a while.

Your roebellinii is i the ground? Where abouts is your garden?? I didnt think they could survive a winter in the ground in the UK? icon_scratch
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Echoing what Huddy has said....it looks normal, but needs to be protected in winter.....Best kept in a pot icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I did have Phoenix roebellenii planted out that survived for several years, but my last one was killed last winter :cry:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Nathan wrote:I did have Phoenix roebellenii planted out that survived for several years, but my last one was killed last winter :cry:
Ah but Nathan you dont really live in the UK...arent you in some subtropical island to the south?? :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Troppoz wrote:
Nathan wrote:I did have Phoenix roebellenii planted out that survived for several years, but my last one was killed last winter :cry:
Ah but Nathan you dont really live in the UK...arent you in some subtropical island to the south?? :lol:
I am on an island, just slightly off the south coast, really wish it was subtropical though! :lol:
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Troppoz wrote:Jack it all looks fine to me. The dead leaf bases are just breaking down and turning black with age, just like a dead leaf will become dry and brown after a while.

Your roebellinii is i the ground? Where abouts is your garden?? I didnt think they could survive a winter in the ground in the UK? icon_scratch
yeah i planted it in the ground, it's right at the end of my garden where that area get's the most sunshine and i think are garden is south facing too, i hear they don't do well in are winters, i'm gonna try and protect it as much as i can, i'm hoping it will survive for a few years but i doubt it it will
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

how long has it been planted ? is potting it not an option ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Jack, dig it up at the end of September, put it in a nice pot and put it in your lounge for the Winter.
If you leave it in the ground it will more than likely die and if by some miracle it survives the growth will be weak for the majority of the next Summer :)
dino

Re: Is this normal for Phoenix roebelenii ?

Post by dino »

I agree that it looks Ok and needs to be brought in over winter