Palm seedling hardiness

maritimesbob

Palm seedling hardiness

Post by maritimesbob »

I`m trying to free up some room in my small greenhouse. They've been in the greenhouse for the last two months and appear quite happy with the sometimes chilly evenings.

Most of the seedlings are producing their second strap leaves. They are hardy enough to endure the occasional chilly evenings (got down to 8C a few times). Would they be hardy enough to be exposed outside for the rest of the summer? If I can find a sheltered spot from the wind.

If I can put them outdoors proper for a few months it would free up two shelves in my overcrowded greenhouse.

On another note. The Trachycarpus seedlings are producing their second strap leaves, about an inch a month if I'm lucky. Does this seem like normal growth rate? I appreciate seedlings are painfully slow until their true leaves finally start pushing through. The seedlings are about seven months old.

I`m going to be blessed with young palms for the next few years. I have about 40 seedlings growing and dozens of germinated palms ready for potting up. Should start a business!!
kata

Re: Palm seedling hardiness

Post by kata »

I got four one leaf Washingtonia Robusta (2) and (2) Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seedlings,

I potted them up and they have been out (not at night because of slugs) since I got them.

New leaves already. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i've put loads of delicate seedlings out recently and they've started romping away and seem to be loving the outdoors icon_cheers
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Our Trachycarpus & Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seedlings have been outside since the end of March. The trachies only have 1 or 2 leaves, the CIDPs are bigger. It's too hot in the greenhouse. Put them outside they'll love it and you'll have lots of room. :D

Ness
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I tend to wait until the seedling gets past the strap leaf stage before putting them out but, in all fairness, there's no reason why they shouldn't be perfectly fine. After all, if they were growing wild they'd have been outside from the word go.

;)
Adrian Brattle

Post by Adrian Brattle »

maritimesbob wrote:I`m trying to free up some room in my small greenhouse. They've been in the greenhouse for the last two months and appear quite happy with the sometimes chilly evenings.

Most of the seedlings are producing their second strap leaves. They are hardy enough to endure the occasional chilly evenings (got down to 8C a few times). Would they be hardy enough to be exposed outside for the rest of the summer? If I can find a sheltered spot from the wind.

If I can put them outdoors proper for a few months it would free up two shelves in my overcrowded greenhouse.

On another note. The Trachycarpus seedlings are producing their second strap leaves, about an inch a month if I'm lucky. Does this seem like normal growth rate? I appreciate seedlings are painfully slow until their true leaves finally start pushing through. The seedlings are about seven months old.

I`m going to be blessed with young palms for the next few years. I have about 40 seedlings growing and dozens of germinated palms ready for potting up. Should start a business!!
Palms with cold hardiness between -3*C to -18*C as a mature is specimen, is very cool hardy even as a seedling.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Seconded Adrian. Not only that, if you keep them too warm when they're young, it will take longer to get them used to the cold. Ours were left out when it went back down to 3C with no ill effects.

A seed planted at the same time as the others but sewn directly in the garden....has just popped it's head up. It's been buried in snow & ice and had 3 solid weeks of below zero, even in the daytime. It's further behind than the others but will be one hardy palm.

Ness
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Well, my Trachycarpus F and Date Palm seedlings are outdoors for the summer and hopefully some of the autumn if it's a mild one. Both species are on their second strap leaves, hopefully they'll be ok. Picked a good day to put them out, expecting heavy blustery rain tonight!!!!

Debating whether to put my Robusta and Butia seedlings out too. I only have a few of these, nervous about killing them off!!!! That being said, the Robusta are Butia are three times the size of the Trachycarpus seedlings and showing five or six strap leaves. Think it will be ok to put these out too? Wasn't sure how delicate these young palms are? I understand Trachies are a bit tougher.