The largest Alocasia leaf comp?

Andrew in Holland

The largest Alocasia leaf comp?

Post by Andrew in Holland »

I thought there was an Alocasia leaf size competition going here somewhere. I can't find it now. If it's still on, I'd like to register myself, and bertha. Pics to follow...
Gaz

Re: The largest Alocasia leaf comp?

Post by Gaz »

There are a couple of comps. The first being the Wilkinsons one, i guess wilkos hasnt started world domination with shops in Holland yet. The other for non wilkos.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... ?f=1&t=918
Last edited by Gaz on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Why am I thinking Andrew has a jacks Giant to enter :wink:
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Yeah, he's got something up his very large sleeve. Anything called Bertha isn't going to be tiddly. Come on Andrew, lets see what you've got :)
Andy
Don

Post by Don »

Don't let Andrew wind you up Andy. You know what that Dutch lot are like-"All pot and no plant" :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have a sneaky feeling that he has had a package from a certain Steve in france ( who is actually in the U.S) containing one of the monster aroids they can get their hands on over there 8)
Don

Post by Don »

Story of my life Mark-I have always missed out on monster packages. I live in hope.
simon

Post by simon »

You would never be able to accommodate it, Don.
Andrew in Holland

Post by Andrew in Holland »

Thanks for the link Gaz.

Ok lads, cool your jets! I'm entering a couple of Alocasia macrorrhizos I've had for a few years. They get over wintered in the conservatory, and put on a few large leafs or flower. Bertha flowered 3 times this winter, the tramp, but her kids are looking mighty fine. Mighty 8) .

I've got a A. portadora looking very virile too. Like a 2 year old fuming stallion, tethered to a fence for way too long.

They're all siting in a brand new, heavily fortified bed of horse muck, leaf mold, compost, on a table of clay. Sun pores in most of the day, and I'm betting that with the temps I'm getting now during the day they're going to take off.

As soon as I've got the area under control I'll take a pic and get it in here.
I'm off to the link... CU there