Small B&Q phoenix canariensis

JakoMonster

Small B&Q phoenix canariensis

Post by JakoMonster »

How Hardy are the small phoenix canariensis you get from B&Q ?
Mr List

Re: Small B&Q phoenix canariensis

Post by Mr List »

not at all.
dommers

Post by dommers »

depends where you live.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i had a B&Q £15 one last year and that died in a sheltered spot (and thats on the isle of wight!)
i had 2x B&Q £40 ones that i got cheap and they both survived but with a fair bit of damage.
size is a factor
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They pretty much wont survive an average winter and certainly no chance in the last few winters.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Axel

Post by Axel »

JakoMonster wrote:How Hardy are the small phoenix canariensis you get from B&Q ?
Probably (near)hardy where you live since you have posted on a thriving washingtonia robusta in someone's frontgarden. If your area experiences similar wintertemperatures as southsea then you could even give a small one a go.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
mine pegged it last winter and it was about 4 foot tall and in a sheltered spot and I fleeced it but abit too late( had several snowy cold days before fleecing). Lowest temp here was about -8c but it was a length of time it lasted that killed it off.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

dommers wrote:depends where you live.
near worthing
flounder

Post by flounder »

save your money, even on the coast the small ones are at best summer bedding
I know they're only a fiver but I've given up on them now......unless there is one going reeeeeally cheap :)
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

flounder wrote:save your money, even on the coast the small ones are at best summer bedding
I know they're only a fiver but I've given up on them now......unless there is one going reeeeeally cheap :)
i already have 5 of them and 1 middle sized one, i think they will be ok cause opposite are house are neighbour has a very large one on there front garden that has been there for years, i don't think it was ever protected in the winter
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've bought the small starter ones from B & Q in previous years for a bit of bedding and to fill gaps in, not expecting them to overwinter, but one actually lasted three years and was growing well (with protection) until the first of the 'bad' Winters. For a few pounds I got my money's worth icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

my mate had one up here for years. It got through winter 09-10 which was a nasty one. Sadly last winter ended its life :(
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

It's funny, I can remember thinking, if plants can get through this really horrible Winter of 2009/10, then there's a chance I'll be able to see the plants I've got grow up -but little did I realise what last Winter had in stall for us :evil:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I wouldn't expect a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP of any size to survive, apart from a very mild winter and a lot of luck!
Personal experience with a large BIG deceased one that cost us £300 (or was it £400) ...'they' dress it up as £*99 to cause confusion when 'they' can see you are under the spell of those huge waving fronds)
Sorry it isnt better news. :(
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

JakoMonster wrote:How Hardy are the small phoenix canariensis you get from B&Q ?
I've got a tiddler and one about three foot tall from B&Q as an experiment to see if I can get them through the winter in a garage with some artificial lights.

I'll let you know the results in March 2012 if you can wait that long in B&Q.

:lol: