Cordyline - Bounce Back Ability

sam140

Cordyline - Bounce Back Ability

Post by sam140 »

After being distraught this winter with the devastation to all my Cordyline's they are all bouncing back now, some have no sprouted till about a week ago. So never give up on a cordy, they are very resilient and i will have some great multi-stemmed plants now :D
stephenprudence

Re: Cordyline - Bounce Back Ability

Post by stephenprudence »

*providing this winter doesn't just cut them all back again? icon_thumbdown

Sounds negative but it's a real possibility, and it's something I've been thinking about.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

I lost mine winter 09/10 it never regrew :( ...... that is untill this year its about a foot away from the dead stem the only thing I can think of is its grown from a root :?:
Attachments
IMG_2616.JPG
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
yes Cordylines are tough as old boots. Only one I had that pegged it and did not reshoot as yet is my purple one ;-(. Green ones are all coming back though. Seen them all reshooting on roundabouts and people's gardens too. I love them. I stuck a flower pot over mine last winter when we had all the snow to help protect them. I have bought a large roll of fleece off Ebay for this winter. I lost so much stuff I do not want it happening again. A 100 meter roll, lol

DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

icon_cheers Another one lives Sam.

I found a shoot in the garden about a month ago, it must have been from one I dug up last year which had no signs of new shoots around the base. The only thing I can think of is I must have left some root/material in the ground and its come back again.

Also went to my Brother-in-Laws and his had been knocked to the ground after this last Winter, he was gutted that he had lost it. I went out to have a look and he'd put a black membrane over the whole area and covered it with stones. He peeled it back and there were numerous new shoots trying to escape the membrane. He was really chuffed.

Edit: Just read yours Lee-Ann icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

I will take action with fleece this winter stephen, but hopefully it won't be necessary.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

hardly any of the big "dead" ones up here are doing anything. Such a sad sight to see them standing there. Fingers crossed they start to move.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

I planted my first cordyline in 1980. It was cut to ground level in 1986. Like many others after last winter I thought I'd lost it. It regrew with two stems the next year and, 25 years on is a very tall plant. It's in my old garden but I pass by occasionally and it's still there. Don't give up on them for at least two years.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Very true - I "lost" 11 out of 12 including my treasured Indivisa but 10 of them have resprouted. I also bought 50 seedlings for a tenner off ebay as mine from seed didn't do anything this year. The 50 were actually 60 and all are happily doing well in rootrainers ready to pot on next spring.

My banksii is coming back well after the 2009 - 2010 winter when I had it planted in the garden. I rescued the roots last summer and overwintered the pot in the greenhouse. I've been rewarded with a nice crop of new sprouts.

I also overwintered some suspect "Kaspar" in the greenhouse which I had grown from seed. I say suspect because they really don't look like true Kaspars. The leaves are too tough and australis looking. They are too wide for plain australis though and look like a sort of cross between austalis/kaspar/indivisa. :roll:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

They are extremely rare in inland Scotland because it is too cold for them.

There is a threshold which once they cross they will not come back from.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

The mother in laws cordy bit the dust last winter but it was potted so didn't stand much chance in the -21 we had, it had been outside for 10 years and sailed thru previous winters as it was quite well sheltered.

She was going to bin it but i rescued it just in time, and i have now planted it in my garden to give it a final chance of coming back.
The trunk had to be cut back to about 7-8" which is a shame but im hoping it will sprout.
Nothing to report so far and im not very hopeful tbh but i will leave it till next summer before i give up on it.

I have only seen one cordy on the mend round here, a huge 18 footer that was cut back to about 2 ft and has now sprouted from the base.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Thanks for your contributions. I think the main reason all mine have bounced back is that I have kept watering and feeding as normal.