What is the biggest tropical item that can be grown in UK

Adrian

Re: What is the biggest tropical item that can be grown in UK

Post by Adrian »

I dont agree Dave, plain green or green with red midrib ventricosums are awsome, I prefer them to maurellii.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote:I dont agree Dave, plain green or green with red midrib ventricosums are awsome, I prefer them to maurellii.
Ade, I think you misunderstood me. I didn't word it well :roll: I like the green as well, but they don't over winter as easily. Much more prone to rot. Maurelii can be covered and left in the dark overwinter, plain ventricosum cannot. Doesn't like the damp. Just depotted my green one yesterday cut all the dead roots off, now in ICU hoping it will grow more roots :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

:lol: wasnt having a go Dave, just standing up for the green form :wink:
Good luck with getting yours going.
I find they are easiest grown sown in december, kept as pot plants the first year then planted out for the second year. Easy to keep a succession going rather than fighting to keep them going through winter.
Doesnt your conservatory floor get soaked with those nanas inside?
Wonder if your dwarf cavendishii will flower this year.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Miller, if you can make it to a meet, you will probably get offered loads of plants, and maybe get an Arundo donax or T rex :D

Mail order is generally reliable if you buy it from the usual exotic GC's (like Amulree, Urban Jungle, Mulu, Palm Centre, etc). B&Q sometimes sells Arundo donax in the summer :)
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

miller wrote:Helen the Tetrapanax papyrifer Rex lloks like a type of plant which i would liek to give a go. Does anyone know the best place to get these from. Still others please give their opinions
The palm center had them when I was there yesterday, but @ £29 each for a pup I don't think they're the best place. As others have said, I'm sure the swap ones will appear soon. Keep an eye on the plant swap area on this forum. I ended up with 2 last year, one a pup, and another a plant that had been in a pot for 3 years. I put it in a massive planter, and it's grown 12" - 18" of trunk in the last year !

LC
Juliasaurus

Post by Juliasaurus »

lucienc wrote:The palm center had them when I was there yesterday, but @ £29 each for a pup I don't think they're the best place. As others have said, I'm sure the swap ones will appear soon. Keep an eye on the plant swap area on this forum. I ended up with 2 last year, one a pup, and another a plant that had been in a pot for 3 years. I put it in a massive planter, and it's grown 12" - 18" of trunk in the last year !
I'm hoping a kind soul will have one to offer me too. My dinosaur garden needs a T-rex! :lol:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Once they get going they send up lots of pups. Will be loads of em by the end of the yearas a few of us all put them in the ground at roughly the same time