Kohwoz's new land and garden progress. Start 2010.

Tom2006

Re: Kohwoz's new land and garden progress. Start 2010.

Post by Tom2006 »

Looking very nice! I like the bold rock rocks and the raised bed! When those palms grow its going to look awesome!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Its really coming along nicely now. A great transformation. WIll you be adding some summer colour?
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Tom2006 wrote:Looking very nice! I like the bold rock rocks and the raised bed! When those palms grow its going to look awesome!!
If they survive. Lost 4 fortunei over the winter. The problem was that it was -17 and a little more for over 2 weeks, no snow and the air was dry. They were all good up until the end of January.

I will probably add to the stone bed, maybe a pond with waterfall etc

Thanks for the comment.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Its really coming along nicely now. A great transformation. WIll you be adding some summer colour?
Cheers Chris. At the moment I'm just trying to get the basic groundwork in and then when I'm living there, hopefully around October time i will definitely add some summer colour for the summer of 2013.(hopefully we get a summer again, as this year doesnt look promising at all)
Do you have any suggestions for Japanese type colourful planting?
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

kata wrote:Its lovely K,

Its come on a treat.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Thanks again k.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Lovely :D , what a transformation, you can see where the hard work has gone, well done. I think some beautiful acers would look great in your raised stone bed and tie in nicely with the Japanese feel.
kata

Post by kata »

Do you have any suggestions for Japanese type colourful planting?
Acers come in different shades K, what about some Bamboo.

This suit Kris for color K......... icon_cheers icon_cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ukgardenphotos/5432022440

I love the garden...and they are in an English garden.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Wow this is going to look stunning. fair play you've put some graft in already icon_thumleft
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Here is another update, a long time coming. The weather hasn't been great at all this summer, so i kind of lost the feel of gardening, although i plodded along. A few weeks really hot and then really cold, windy and rainy all of june parts of july and then last week over 33 deg C for a week and now back to cooler, wind and rain, just like in april.

The house is slowly coming along, almost the work outside in finished and the scaffolding is now long gone. Although more importantly is the garden transformation. I'd like to transform the front garden but the will be sometime next year. I really want to get designing and planting so my garden will also look great like all you guys here on Hardy Tropicals. It's frustrating seeing all your gardens looking great with amazing colours etc.

The neighbours from my street have complemented me on how my garden at the back looks and now they are asking me for advise on what palm trees to plant out themselves, although i don't think that they realise how much work and time is involved. Fortunei and Wagnerianus are a good choice here although many died around the Hamburg area.

So here goes, a few pics, as pics are better than words.

kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Here on the borders of the bed i have planted different coloured japanese azalea.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Hi everyone.
Thought I would check in again and update my blog. I know that some of you will be interested in how the new house is coming along and what I have been getting up to in the garden.
I have been checking out the forums but not really got involved. Been far too busy, and a little stressed with things.
Since last week, I have begun to prepare some winter protection on my 2 baby waggies, a larger fortunei and baby plus a nana which ain't winter hard at all. I decided to get things rolling as I will be moving into the new house in and around November time....so I would not have much time to organise everything when the cold spell hits. Hoping that this winter will be mild and really hoping it will not be a dry, -19 like last time. It pretty much killed a lot of palms and the ones that had survived, are still trying there best to overcome the winter damage.

Since the last time I updated, I have made another bed with some bamboo, stones and some of the sand that was left over from the building. I think that it has turned out ok. I want to build a green house along the side of it sometime next year with a path between them both. I really needed to make a border as the neighbors nettles and other weeds keeping growing over. On my side I put a barrier in for the bamboo, but just left it open on his side. It can grow towards his garden. It won't be a problem as he's a great guy and his garden needs something adding to it, as its bare. I'm sure his phillipino chick won't mind, lol.

At the moment I'm planning (drawing childlike ideas) for the driveway and entrance to the house, and the back patio area. Thinking of a raised bed and using 1.50 m granite posts, with natural rocks inside the bed. Possibly plant some trachycarpus there(if my protection works with the one at the back of the garden)

The back will comprise of also being raised with flower bed walls enclosing the patio with steps leading into the garden and the sides of the house..

Update... Above was written in August, and now its the new year already. Goes to show how busy i have been. So Happy New to all on HTUK.

Up to now my winter protection has done good. Although the cold is coming back again, expecting around minus 7 in the night and around minus 1 or 2 in the day.

Towards the end of last year, we built a little patio on the westside of the house, basically for the basement windows and for the drainage system for rain water for the toilets. Stopped working on this for the meantime because of the 3 week cold spell....Ground was frozen solid.
Here i will be planting a few things but as of yet i have no idea what to plant!

When the weather improves, will start on the patio and driveway.

I will upload some photos when i get a chance too.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Sounds like you've been busy, the stone planters look great planted up now. Look forward to seeing the new pic's!
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I missed your summer pictures somehow icon_scratch . Great plants and its really coming together nicely, you've some lovely stuff icon_thumleft

I can't wait for the most recent house pictures too. Will you be all finished by the summer?
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

All looking good Kohwoz icon_thumleft Great photo's......House coming along nicely icon_salut

I like all the palms you are planting & the raised beds look good.....
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Sketches of the planned patio and Raised granite bed..

The patio i would like it a little enclosed, with steps leading down into the garden.

My preparations for winter protection.
The Fortunei is wrapped around the trunk with thick burlap and i stuffed the crown with fleece. And then it now has a double zipped fleece over the fronds which are tied up. I also have a fleece around the base of it. The little fortunei and waggie i have used the same method, with a frame built around them.
With the 3 bamboos i have just heavily mulched around the bases of them.

Another bed/border for the bamboo. In the sand border i will either plant something that will set it off a bit (comments highly welcome) or i will just pot plunge things like cordylines or something..

A panoramic view to see the length of the border..Some wood on the left, and along the left side is where the green house will be perhaps. With a 80cm wide path running along the side between the border.

Here is the west side patio area, that is still ongoing...When and if the trachycarpus surive this winter i may plant the Chammies there, and build frames around them in winter.

Here are a few garden shots from august time.
Because i was so busy, i left most of these in the shed for about 1 and a half weeks...Didnt realise how cold it got down too, around minus 7. All pots were frozen solid..I plunged them all in warm water let them drain and then brought them inside. As of today the 2 Waggies are still growing, the filibusta and robusta are pushing out new fronds and the chammies too...Bismarck was ok, i brought him in before it got into the minus temps.. Lost already 8 young robustas, one baby waggie.