might my 3ft Trachycarpus fortunei die if in a pot during winter?

palm lad

might my 3ft Trachycarpus fortunei die if in a pot during winter?

Post by palm lad »

if i leave it planted in a plastic tub and left outside for winter will it stand less chance of survival than if it was planted out? as i'd rather keep it in a 40 litre plastic tub so i can move it about easily.

just wondering, PL :roll:
Adam D

Re: might my 3ft Trachycarpus fortunei die if in a pot during wint

Post by Adam D »

Depends how cold it gets.
kata

Post by kata »

I sincerely hope not PL,

I bought one this month and left it in the pot, hopefullly all winter.

We must have to protect both trunk and spears from frost and snow. Where I bought mine from mentioned lights to prevent freezing.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Palm Lad I think you have a greenhouse, if so I would at least put it in there for some protection, I know how precious your plants are to you :D
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I had four trachies last autumn. Three in pots and one in the ground. The one in the ground is the only one alive....just.

If it looks cold and especially wet/snowy just move it into a greenhouse, cool conservatory or even a garage or shed then back out when the cold passes.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
turtile

Post by turtile »

Will the plastic tub be in the ground? If not, it has a very good chance of dying.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

May be the best option would be to wrap the pot a few times in horticultural fleece underneath as well, as the fleece still allows air flow but keeps off frost, but adds a round couple of +celsius to the temperature for protection. Or simply take indoors when the temperatures are at a real low!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Trachycarpus fortunei leaves generally start to show damage at around -12C , the roots start dieing at -8C.
If its kept within these thresholds it will be ok.

In the ground the roots are unlikely ever to see anywhere near -8c so its then just a question of how cold the air gets, thats why palms in the ground are more resistant to cold.
kata

Post by kata »

I have a spare corner in the lounge, thats where its going too.

Just decided.

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If you have space sink the pot into the ground and give a good mulch around the base.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Nigel wrote:Trachycarpus fortunei leaves generally start to show damage at around -12C , the roots start dieing at -8C.
If its kept within these thresholds it will be ok.

In the ground the roots are unlikely ever to see anywhere near -8c so its then just a question of how cold the air gets, thats why palms in the ground are more resistant to cold.
Now I'm wondering if my Trachycarpus in a large glazed pot my die from root chill :?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Last winter I had a Trachycarpus with about 8£ of trunk in a large plastic pot.

Temps went down to -19 and we had a month here where even daytime temps didn't get above freezing.

It SHOULD have died but it's still going. It got very damaged on all the existing fronds but didn't spear pull and it pushed out another small spear before I planted it in March.

I think it will need sheltering this time if we have a harsh winter to keep it alive but it goes to show that not everything is written in stone when it comes to plams and their survival.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Goes to show its so different for each plant. Glad yours made it!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

GoggleboxUK wrote:It SHOULD have died but it's still going. It got very damaged on all the existing fronds but didn't spear pull and it pushed out another small spear before I planted it in March.
It probably suffered extensive root damage hence the smaller leaves , but in the centre the temp probably stayed higher and roots survived. Trachys are very hard to kill !!!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nigel wrote: Trachys are very hard to kill !!!
Not in my case nigel, I can kill Trachycarpus's easy, 3 in a year died on me 2 were 3 year olds and another well 40% of living got it cheap out of a GC at the winter last year!