Feeding your plants?

Rachelpalm

Feeding your plants?

Post by Rachelpalm » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Hello
I have been feeding my palms weekly with palm focus and palm booster( now going to use palm booster once a fortnight as I read instructions wrong). Been feeding my bananas miracle grow once a week and have just bought some HSK fern tree feed which I will use once a week for my new tree fern. I have also fed a few palms miracle grow a couple of times too. But never more often than once a week. Been feeding other plants, flowers etc miracle grow too once a week. Been giving my new palms( in ground and pots) palm booster once a fortnight.

Is miracle grow bad for plants in pots? I did read something about salt build up? If yes what other feed is good for plants in pots( palms and Fatsias and Cordylines)

Last year I just fed everything with Baby Bio plant feed once a week during growing season and wanted to use better feeds this year. I did buy some slow release pellets( westland) this spring and put in the ground here and there around my garden.

Am I doing the right thing or not?
Cheers

Trudytropics

Re: Feeding your plants?

Post by Trudytropics » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Rachel I use miracle grow probably every week on most pots, but regularly water also without feed to flush out any salt buildup. I tend to use Chempak palm food on my palms once a month, other than that don't bother much, just water when looking a bit dry. The only things I use miraclegrow on more regularly is my hanging baskets, which get miraclegrow every other day and they are loving it :lol:

Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Hello Trudy,
thanks for your reply. I water my bananas every day with just water ( apart from day 7) and water my palms 2, 3 times a week ( only once a week with feed) so as you say the salt hopefully gets flushed out. Had so much rain here too recently. But had a lovely sunny day here today icon_thumleft

Cheers

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:05 am

Makes you wonder Rachel whether we are spending money for all this feed for no good reason, if you think about the huge banana plantations covering acres of land in the Caribbean, I'll bet no one is giving them miraclegrow :lol: . Also from my own travels most of the palms I see are in pretty crappy ground, on the beach or in dry earth, obviously they get tropical showers most days but all nutrients must come from the ground. You would imagine our garden soil and compost would be packed with the vital nutrients that are needed by palms etc, no doubt I will be given the reasons for feeding our palms here by someone with a ton of knowledge and experience :lol:

maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:33 am

I imagine our difficult climate is our worst enemy!

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Trudy is right to a degree, palms dont need LOTS of fertiliser although some are greedier than others, fortunei being a rather greedy palm.
However, correct nutrition will give a healthy and faster growing plant.
On the other hand over feeding can do more harm than good.

The banana plantations here in Brasil receive HEAVY fertilisation.

Palmfocus, baby bio, maxicrop all rather expensive but also rather foolproof and easy to use without problems.
Miraclegrow,Chempak etc much cheaper but if you dont get it right you can end up with the yellow sickly stunted palms you were trying to avoid.
Best thing is to follow the instructions and in case of salt based ferts like miraclegrow and chempak to flush the soil every so often. In small pots they can be immersed in buckets of water overnight, but thats probably only neccessary if you use regularly and only once or twice per year.

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:00 pm

Nigel how do they fertilise the banana plantations?, certainly when we were in St lucia recently the plantations were on very mountainous terrain and difficult ground, is it done from the air? Sorry for going off-topic Rachel, but I never imagined the plantations would get fed, I suppose though its one of their main exports so they must look atfer the crops well :D

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Trudy here also they grow on mountainous terrains. I dont know what they give but there is men throwing fertiliser on the ground and big sheds overflowing with tons of the stuff.