Fatsia.

karl66

Fatsia.

Post by karl66 »

Looking for some info on this plant. Can it be left out uncovered , does it flower and how wide and tall can it grow. many thanks karl.
pdid

Re: Fatsia.

Post by pdid »

It`s hardy for me, grows to 2m+ but can be pruned to size and yes it flowers.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Flowers in November - December if you get a very mild autumn. In most years the flower buds get killed by frost.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It is hardy in all three forms that I have: green, variegated, spiders web. All survived -10 in pots. No damage to speak of although look bad when below zero, went all floppy but that's normal and will bounce back.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

It is, I think, a subtropical species from the farthest islands of southern Japan. Japan for it's position is relatively cold, Nagasaki for example, is fairly south compared to us, yet gets a colder average winter minimum in January than parts of Cornwall. However Japan has something we don't have, summer heat.

The islands are probably cool in summer, much like here, so Fatsia will grow well in summer, but probably encounters only infrequent frosts in its native habitat.

That said Japan is a relatively cool country and the hardiness of Fatsia japonica is a testament to that.

Generally the plants of Southern Japan are well suited to our climate, except perhaps some species of coastal plants, for example Cycas revoluta (certainly not as hardy as Fatsia japonica)
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have about 15 of the green variety. They can get to about 2 meters tall in the right conditions. The leaves will grow darker green and bigger in the shade. My one in the shade is about 5 years old and about 2 meters tall now, so they grow very fast. They are easy to prune and look after. I also have some that are in the sun. The leaves will not grow as big and they will be a lighter green and not grow as fast or big, but all mine still look nice. All mine got through last winter with ease unprotected. Only thing that happened was a few leaves went black and I removed them in spring and the plants fully recovered. They are very hardy, down to at least -10 I would say. Lowest temps I had last winter was about -8 to -10c. They need plenty of water in summer as they are growing fast.

Fatsias in my garden
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks for feedback on these. I've just finished a raised bedded area which i've put inexpensive arid, and little succulents and finished off with gravel, but this second bed i've created is a nice flat one. Its just been prepared with compost and fresh manure , and because its near to my butia and other palms i want some nice soft but hardy looking plants. Any suggestions?. karl.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:It is, I think, a subtropical species from the farthest islands of southern Japan. Japan for it's position is relatively cold, Nagasaki for example, is fairly south compared to us, yet gets a colder average winter minimum in January than parts of Cornwall. However Japan has something we don't have, summer heat.

The islands are probably cool in summer, much like here, so Fatsia will grow well in summer, but probably encounters only infrequent frosts in its native habitat.

That said Japan is a relatively cool country and the hardiness of Fatsia japonica is a testament to that.

Generally the plants of Southern Japan are well suited to our climate, except perhaps some species of coastal plants, for example Cycas revoluta (certainly not as hardy as Fatsia japonica)
It's a more continental climate in Japan - colder winters, but also much hotter summers.

One important effect of the summer heat is that the flower buds develop more quickly so it flowers much earlier in the autumn than it does in Britain (Sep-Oct, rather than Nov-Dec), so the flowers don't get frosted in Japan the way they usually do here.