Is this the right Potash to put around the base of my palms?

cordyman

Is this the right Potash to put around the base of my palms?

Post by cordyman »

Any guide as to how much per palm?
turtile

Re: Is this the right Potash to put around the base of my pa

Post by turtile »

Yes, but make sure you're applying other nutrients. The amount of fertilizer depends on the size of the palm and the frequency of applications.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

is it time for potash feeds now?

i was thinking stop the growth feeds end august and start the autumn feeds then.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

turtile wrote:Yes, but make sure you're applying other nutrients. The amount of fertilizer depends on the size of the palm and the frequency of applications.
Agreed, it is far better to apply a combined feed that is high in potash, but also contains other nutrients to balance it out. The over enthusiastic use of sulphate of potash alone can effectively block magnesium uptake and render calcium unavailable in the soil. This will have an have a major, long term, negative effect upon growth.

Some years ago I saw some very stunted and chlorotid Chamaerops that had each been subjected to "just a potful' of potash now and again". The potful turning out to be a 12cm pot and 'every now and again' was 4 times during the growing season - once in spring, again in midsummer and twice in the autumn!!! Far from making the palms hardier, it all but stopped them growing altogether. If you don't have a full understanding of how nutrients interact when applied singly, it is always safer to use balanced feeds with the necessary bias according to time of year.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

So a small tablespoon full now and nothing till next year would do no harm ?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

cordyman wrote:So a small tablespoon full now and nothing till next year would do no harm ?
No, as long as you don't adopt a 'gung-ho' attitude towards it you should be OK :wink: A level tablespoon mixed in a gallon of water and applied to the roots is somewhat better than sprinkling it dry around the base of the palm.