Male
80%
Female
20%

Total votes: 76

Mo

Re: Want to know the number of male to female gardeners

Post by Mo »

When I moved in with my hubby, the garden had a gravel drive, a huge lawn and one willow tree - that was it!
now it has a tropical area, lawn with trees and shrubs, vegetable beds and a 20ft greenhouse. I do all the gardening - he has no interest, but he does any building work needed, so that's brilliant! I quite like making the decisions about the garden as it's one less thing to argue about. :lol: :lol: :lol: He does think I'm crazy though - he can't understand why I want to do so much - he'll never understand - bless him! icon_sunny
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I do all the gardening and buying girlfriend likes exotics but doesn't get excited about it like i do.

Shes best on her hands and knees...

Weeding! :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

must learn to scroll down the page :lol:
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

I thought my earlier comment was naughty...... :wink:

because it was :lol:
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

JimH' & Cordy, Oooh! you are awful! :lol: :lol: :roll:

My husband is not a gardener, keen or otherwise, but he DOES like large Palms. It's just a pity our garden and budget are small! :roll:
Brian does not like Any plant which gets in his way when he's en route to / from his workshop/shed with yet more 'car parts' (gearboxes on sack trucks etc.)
He NEVER offers to do anything in the garden but Will help if I pick the right moment to ask.
After being married for 43 years, we are resigned to the fact that we will never understand each others interests & hobbies!
Cathy (female!)
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

My o/h half is not a gardener, but he likes the garden, he does all the lifting and carrying though and any building that has to be done. I do the rest. I 'pretend' I can't use the strimmer to do the edges on the lawn, so he mows and strims too icon_cheers

Another one to up the percentage for the females icon_cheers

Edit: Pressed the button and said I was invalid, so couldn't vote :shock: I'm sure I was female the last time I looked :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

The numbers don't surprize me. The same percentages hold true over this way for exotic gardening in the Pacific Northwest. Clubs, forums, etc are mainly men for the exotics.
My wife certainly enjoys my work but she's more floral oriented which does compliment my efforts.

Cheers, Barrie.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

We could get all scientific in this like they did with the male and female rally drivers experiment. It was a bit too technical for me but the essence was that a few females are still very feminine but possess traditionally "male" skills to a high degree whilst some males can still be very masculine but possess traditionally "female" skills.

I can assure you I am very "female" as a woman but as a child I enjoyed competing with my older brother in any strength task. I got stuck in taking bikes (and my dad's car) to bits and putting them back together. I considered it sissy to play around with electronics like my brother did. I wanted to use a big hammer and a power drill rather than fiddle around with a minuscule electrical screwdriver taking an old radio to bits. I like making a difference in the garden - heaving stones around, changing a patch from boring lawn or weeds to an eye catching display of something huge and tropical looking.

All this doesn't explain why there seem to be more male tropical gardeners around but I ain't got all the answers. My other half likes veg gardening which helps balance things out. :wink:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I must admit every keen gardener I have ever known is a bloke. My wife appreciates nice plants but doesn't get my love of exotics but she would never stop me from gardening. She likes to buy furniture pots etc but takes little interest in the care of my.....sorry...our garden.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I love to lug pots about and dig deep holes for big plants, (now resulting in arthritis of the spine) and back in the 70s I have driven a grass track racing car BUT I once had a mild electric shock when trying to change a light bulb :shock: true! x my heart! enter Brian, long suffering spouse!

...DiCass great ruse with the strimmer!
I learned many years ago that it is often wise to pretend to be incapable ...the more you can do, the more is expected of you. But one time an old (male) school friend sussed me, saying "she's not as daft as she makes out"
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Cathy you are right about pretending to be incapable, my hubby has been doing this all our married life re the iron, washing machine, cleaning toilets, loading dishwasher, hoovering and the list goes on and on and on :lol: :lol: :lol: . This is a whole other thread :lol:

He had a good idea or so he thought a couple of months back re our new water feature, its a large silver sphere with water cascading from a hole at the top and running around till it hits the ground. We had argued over what should surround said sphere and after if going on for days
I relented and let him put him masterplan into place. He turned up following day with turf from B & Q and proceeded to cut this around the feature, despite me telling him it was crappe and how was he going to cut it,
he carried on, all the while I'm thinking thats coming out :lol: . Move on 2 weeks and him on his hands and knees cutting said grass with scissors, me rolling on floor laughing :lol: . He went climbing the next weekend, so I ripped up the turf and put some paddlestones and lime green hakonechloa into place, he agreed when he got back 100% looked better :D . Moral of the story stick to what you are good at, my hubby is great at DIY and I do the gardening, he is entitled to his opinions on our garden but I choose from now on to ignore him :D
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Great post Trudy, :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a feeling we could chat for hours!
...after 43 yrs of marriage mine still cannot 'do' beans on toast! his last effort was "all soggy" and went in the bin! :lol: - but he can strip a gearbox and rebuild it whilst blindfolded!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Cathy wrote:I love to lug pots about and dig deep holes for big plants, (now resulting in arthritis of the spine) and back in the 70s I have driven a grass track racing car BUT I once had a mild electric shock when trying to change a light bulb :shock: true! x my heart! enter Brian, long suffering spouse!

...DiCass great ruse with the strimmer!
I learned many years ago that it is often wise to pretend to be incapable ...the more you can do, the more is expected of you. But one time an old (male) school friend sussed me, saying "she's not as daft as she makes out"

Cathy surely the digging didn't cause the arthritis?

Keeping active and mobile is good for the spine, its usually genetic?

I dig loads of huge holes lol!
Last edited by cordyman on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Wow look at the results, 80% men and 20% females. My guess was icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

obviously rachel, until they put the kitchen in the garden it will always be male dominated! now be a good girl and put the kettle on :wink: