will these Trachycarpus's do well in north east England?

GoggleboxUK

Re: will these Trachycarpus's do well in north east England?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Martianus and Latisectus are the only Trachys I'd never consider planting out here.

I'm going to keep the larger Naini Tal and Manipur outside longer than the small plants this winter and gradually try and get them to achieve sustained cold spells over time but there's no way I'd plant any Trachycarpus regardless of variety until it has at least a foot of trunk.

I'll be planting 3 Fortunei next Spring and should have Naini and Manipur ready to be planted in 2014. I might even try planting the Armata then too.

I don't worry so much about planting Chammies as they are relatively cheap to replace.

As Kris said, this is obviously just IMO.
Kev F

Post by Kev F »

Adam is right...duration of cold is very much a key indicator, however, that particular Waggy (a young, non mature specimen) does seem to be an exception as it had a few of weeks at circa -8 to -10 and a few nights of lower than that. As a general rule though it's a combination of plant maturity and duration of cold as much as its about minimum temps.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

siting is also important,a small 40/50 cm trunk waggy has breezed through here next to a sago,both looking good yet 10 ft away my big capitata/odorata got hammered and my jub and a c.humilis killed outright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

Because its said only the first few inches in the ground recieve frost.ice/snow your palms are safer in the ground than in pots. Had I got my move then I would have planted any palms I have.

I trust my source Implicity with all the years of experience my source has.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
sam140

Post by sam140 »

I have had a couple of small naini tal in the ground about 3 years. They were damaged this year as were some of the smaller fortunei, but have come back quickly since. Seems about the same as fortunei in that once you can get through one cold winter they become more resilient.