Homebase Washingtonia Robusta's, post your progress...

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

My homebase washy has been on a major sulk since I potted up but this morning the spear i've been waiting on since purchase has now started to open icon_cheers

Such a stunning palm the washy i'll be doing my utmost to get it through winter!

Quite a nice surprise when I found another spear I didn't notice behind popping up

Last edited by cordyman on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: 6 weeks for Washy frond to open, finally!

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

My washy has been really slow this year only a few leaves.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

How will you over winter?
Lovely palm- wish they were a little hardier!
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

You have done well with that Cordyman! looks a healthy plant/tree
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Darlo Mark wrote:How will you over winter?
Lovely palm- wish they were a little hardier!
Its in a pot.....the same as mine.....I just put mine in the garage. icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

mine go in an unheated greenhouse, make sure they do not totally dry out, but then again do not over water. simple but sadly so slow in pots.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Hows everyones homebase bargain washy's doing?

I've been rather impressed with mine. Cut two leaves off soon after buying due to black spot mold but looks gorgeous now, i'm sure the lower trunk has thickened too, but that could be my imagination. Coming in the house when it gets below -3*c

Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Homebase Washingtonia Robusta's, post your progress...

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

cordyman wrote:Hows everyones homebase bargain washy's doing?
Looking good Cordy. I bought 2 triple stems and a single. The single i pot plunged in the ground after repotting into a much bigger pot, tried to lift it yesterday and the roots were already well anchored thru the bottom . Had to dig the bleeder out :lol: Even worse was the Robellini.

The washy's have been a fanatastic buy tho for £30, all pushed out new fronds icon_thumleft
dk

Post by dk »

Looking good cordyman!

I cheated this summer by bringing my seed grown filibusta indoors on cool nights. And as a result it took off with about a cm or more a day in spear growth. It's increadible what 5 degrees higher at night will do... And as bonus the leaves grew thick and compact with the higher light levels at mid summer.

Just hope I can keep it alive in my shed this winter...
derrick

Post by derrick »

It would be a shame to kill that Cordy try and bring inside mine has put out 4 leaves in the ground Homebase had some good size Washys going cheap
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Got one yesterday, , found it whilebargin shed hunting....obviously, one left from summer....found it under some conifers........Was £40, then £20......got it for £8....plus loads of other bit and bobs.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Chuck some pics up coddy.

Posted this elsewhere but just to update,

She was out through the last cold spell, then I felt sorry for her and brought her in

had to cut the 2 outer leaves off to fit in front bedroom as a compromise with the missus :oops:

You can see how much the spear in above pic has opened since being inside, and theres another on the way behind it

derrick

Post by derrick »

I have one in the conservatory it was a bit late to plant outside .I have another in the ground outside thats doing ok with the mild weather we have Cordy
Attachments
DSCF2034.JPG
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Mine is doing really well after a slow start.Wont be able to plant out until it gets to a good size though, even then its borderline in my location. karl.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Thats the good thing about palms in pots you can just move them about in the cold weather Karl . If you dont like its location in the ground its not so easy to just dig up and move.