Nuts about Jungles - The Blog

JungleNuts

Nuts about Jungles - The Blog

Post by JungleNuts »

Well back from summer hol's (nice few weeks in Bilbao) and have finally gotten the machetes out and cleared a path up the garden ..... so thought it was about time to start the blog and post some pics of the garden :)

First off, let's set the scene .... the following pic is from 3 or so years ago ....
Garden 2008.jpg
As you can see, the backbone is there, with the boo's and a few other key plants ..... but over the next 3 years as we dabbled and dug, moved and manipulated ..... we ended up with this !
Full Length.jpg
Garden wide Shot.jpg
Left Side back to House.jpg
Towards back of Garden.jpg
Right Side back to House.jpg
We have some serious growth this year, and already have plans to re-design the far end of the garden due to extreme miscanthus and boo growth ..... but I'll post some more pic's and provide commentary as we get stuck in .... plenty to do this coming bank holiday weekend methinks !!! icon_cheers icon_cheers
Trudytropics

Re: Nuts about Jungles - The Blog

Post by Trudytropics »

Wow Junglenuts thats a seriously jungly garden, I love it.
Your trachys seem to have a very loose droopy leaved appearence, unless not trachys of course, but whatever they are they look fantastic, a really nice garden icon_thumleft
Last edited by Trudytropics on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brendan

Post by brendan »

garden looks great love the 5th picture of the bamboo and the fern.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Very very nice!
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Great stuff!

Lots of growth as you say over the last 3 years, well done :)
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

looks great.. nice to have the path meandering through.. icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I really like your garden, especially the bamboos.

Enjoy the trachys for now becuase they won't look like than in 2/3 years time.
simon

Post by simon »

A beautiful garden. With very little sign of fences, you really get the impression of a garden with no boundaries. That is an effect I am trying to achieve myself but t is going to take sometime longer.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Now that's my type of garden icon_thumleft
Looks like a Ctenanthe Oppenheimiana in the last pic ? mine spends the summer outside in almost an identical spot and loves it

How big is the garden ?
Leigh
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Fantastic effect - love it!
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

What a great garden!!! Plenty of secrecy with lots of fabulous planting. Love where you've got your seating area. icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Superb! It's grown really well this summer JN and is looking amazing.

;)
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Wow, Amazing garden, just how a tropical garden should look. I love it, from the design to the planting icon_thumleft ...
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Well thought it about time to start blogging on this years work, drama, tears and tantrums to get the back yard jungle up and running :D

Firstly, scene setting .... the snow from this year and the back garden view in February:
Snow_ Back Garden.jpg
and post the snow, the view on a wet March morning:
Back Garden.jpg
So apart from a couple of tatty Trachycarpus (no surprise), phormiums that look like they have been steam rollered and a wee bit of tree fern crown protection remaining in place, we are not faring too badly with the Boo backbone holding up well ....

The house is full of Nana's (5 x Ensete / 4 x Musa) and many, many aroids along with the two Ravenea's, Nicolai Bird of Paradise, Caryota, Rhapis and a few other non-hardy specimens .... and yet we still went bulb / plant shopping this weekend (and also received the parcel from jungle-seeds!) :D

The plan this year is to build out the understory as the Boo's are creating quite a lot shade ... and also to rejig the sunny border and the rear of the garden where Cosmo grass has some what taken over .... also considering replacing a couple of the phormiums, not so much because of their current condition (they do bounce back well) but to try and reclaim some sunny floor space for the new members of our 'green' family ...

So some planning to do .... roll on spring and summer .... will post a plant list of this years selection soon ...
kata

Post by kata »

Enjoy the trachys for now becuase they won't look like than in 2/3 years time.
Why Kris, don't the Trachis get better as they age? If they age badly I shan't get another... :lol: :lol:

The first set of pics look brill JN, and you did'nt do too badly over winter.

Well done!!
:mrgreen: