Overwintering plant VIDEOS EPISODES Dicksonia antarctica POST 1st

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Overwintering plant VIDEOS EPISODES Dicksonia antarctica POST 1st

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

As many people who read this forum are approaching their first winter with their tropical plants. I thought I would video how I deal with the various plants that I have. I have been growing various tropical plants for 5-6 years (normal plants for around 20), read many many gardening books and read practically every thread on this forum for over a couple of years. I want to draw from my experience and that of others to make these videos.

As there are no current TV programmes that cover Tropical plants in enough detail I hope to fill the void and help others.

Big thank you to all the great information that can be found on this forum without it I would be a far less a gardener.

Obviously all that I do can not be taken as gospel. People do things in different ways and have different experiences. What I'll try to do is give a balanced perspective but please feel free to DISAGREE! with what I say/do!!!!

I don't know whether this should be on this forum or on the reference section?? icon_scratch

I will try to post the videos as I make them with the subjects of the programmes relevant to the time of autumn/winter. I may do things a little early to give people time to do the same.

Tonight's episode will be about potting up colocasias (and the pitfalls), re-potting small palms and taking softwood cuttings for use next year.

Please let me know if you find this useful.

Overwintering Colocasias indoors, re-potting young palms, softwood cutting

Overwintering Colocasia dry over winter

Bamboo autumn care

Ginger, Hedychium winter care and propogation

Alocasia overwintering

Overwintering Tetrapanax papyrifer rex", growth potential and a bit more on colocasias

Overwintering Arid plants

PART ONE OF OVERWINTERING ENSETES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9U0iEaupc

Here is episode 9 Overwintering ensete dry part 2

Episode 10 Washys

Episode 11 Overwintering Dahlias

Episode 12 Overwintering Musa Basjoo

Overwintering Cannas

Overwintering Hardy plants in pots

Overwintering frost tender plants by mulching: Melianthus, Eucomis, Arundo donax, hedychiums, Gunnera etc, Dahlias etc

Unwrapping Musa basjoo

Bringing Ensete mauelli out of dry storage and into growth!!

Episode 19 Colocasia dry AND warm overwinter

Overwintering Dicksonia antarctica
Last edited by Yorkshire Kris on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Tom2006

Re: Overwintering plant VIDEOS and a big thank you to HTUK

Post by Tom2006 »

This WILL be VERY useful. I look forward to them....but please no sky dish damages :wink:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
callin

Post by callin »

this is very good idea
I m "all ears" icon_thumleft icon_thumright
Myself I read a lot on this forum and i can tell you that I learnt much.
I think what you want to do will be extremly usefull for some of us ... how do you say "newbie s" :)
Anyway, i ll check this topic every time I enter.
Thank you HTUK and thank u Kris. icon_cheers icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom2006 wrote:This WILL be VERY useful. I look forward to them....but please no sky dish damages :wink:

I promise not to damage anymore sky dishes or Trachycarpus roots! :lol: :lol:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Right I am no video editor or presenter so here goes...

Don't expect the same production budget at Gardeners world but hopefully the content will be useful. Sound quality is so- so. Perhaps put sound up to max or wear headphones?

Any way here is episode 1

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think it is a great idea. They say a picture paints a thousand words, but a video paints a million. This is certainly reference forum material. You seem to have the knack of talking through it without 'errrrm ' between every word. icon_thumright That is quite difficult to do.

2 suggestions.

1) make a video on each subject, rather than lumping things together in one. This will make it much easier to place. Not sure where we would expect to find Colocasia potting for winter and softwood cuttings.

2) Maybe you need a head band camera harness, so you can use both hands :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by nige pook »

Here here good vid! Yeah have to say must be difficult doing it with just one free hand! :) Just wish I had somewhere outside I could afford to heat for that length of time,must cost a fortune :shock: :shock: Thinking of using bubble wrap this year in an effort to keep it a bit more insulated,sorry off topic. Nige
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:I think it is a great idea. They say a picture paints a thousand words, but a video paints a million. This is certainly reference forum material. You seem to have the knack of talking through it without 'errrrm ' between every word. icon_thumright That is quite difficult to do.

2 suggestions.

1) make a video on each subject, rather than lumping things together in one. This will make it much easier to place. Not sure where we would expect to find Colocasia potting for winter and softwood cuttings.

2) Maybe you need a head band camera harness, so you can use both hands :wink:
Thanks for the feedback Dave.

Yes I can do the different topics on different videos. I thought for the first I would put them altogether as these are the jobs I did today.

Regarding filming I'm hoping to get the wife involved when I have my hands-full. I think a head cam would be all over the place.

Shall I put all the vids on this thread and separate vids on the separate reference sub-threads?
derrick

Post by derrick »

I think its a great idea for new and old members thanks Kris always something new to learn
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

nige pook wrote:Here here good vid! Yeah have to say must be difficult doing it with just one free hand! :) Just wish I had somewhere outside I could afford to heat for that length of time,must cost a fortune :shock: :shock: Thinking of using bubble wrap this year in an effort to keep it a bit more insulated,sorry off topic. Nige
Well you could always over-winter them in the house or conservatory (if allowed!) Or perhaps store them dry when temps and space are less important. The drawbacks are that they need longer to get going in spring and the rhizomes may not be big enough to survive the winter dry (plus rot is always a danger)
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

good videos icon_salut

is that 'little pot upside down in colocasia pots thing' something you did before or was it my idea the other week that made you try it?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:good videos icon_salut

is that 'little pot upside down in colocasia pots thing' something you did before or was it my idea the other week that made you try it?

Your idea! icon_salut

For small specimens I wouldn't bother doing it but for large ones like in the video, I thinks its a great idea.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Thanks Kris,yep thats what I'm going to try to do,overwinter in the 1st floor flat,no consevatory unfortunately!! Trouble is I have at least 20 colocasias,10 alocacias,nanas,xsanthosoma v., etc etc ARGHHHH!! :ahhh!: :ahhh!: Havn't got enough inside space for them all, icon_scratch this bug has got out of control! :lol: Even got more coming from steve w hopefully this week. Need to win the lottery and buy a place with a huge conservatory-we can all dream :D How much light do they need,do you think they would survive on a non sunny window sill,ie north facing? Nige
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Well in the greenhouse in winter they do get more light than they would in a house even on a south facing window.

I did over-winter a couple of colocasia on an east-facing window sill one winter with no problems.