My Washie Palm

Andy P

My Washie Palm

Post by Andy P »

Just a couple of pics of my Washie Palm. Not sure of it`s age. I bought it from` Big Plant Nursery` around April and stuck it straight in the ground. Seems to be doing ok.
Andy :)
Attachments
2011-09-08 19.45.45.jpg
2011-09-08 19.45.54.jpg
Trudytropics

Re: My Washie Palm

Post by Trudytropics »

Thats what the lights are for :D , nice looking palm, hope it does ok this winter, get it through a few years and it look like Dave B's.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Yep ! Cheers Trudy. That`s what i`m hoping :)
Andy
Ste

Post by Ste »

Make sure you protect it and dont let happen what happened to mine. I had quite a big one last year and left everything unprotected. Its a gonner now :( Bought another this year but its only about the size of yours, i'll definatley be protecting this one. This is the one I lost during last winter.
Attachments
4 [111].jpg
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I Bet your gutted Steve. Last winter was horrendous though wasn`t it. :x Lets just keep our fingers crossed that it was a blip. I`ve ordered my rope lights and am getting some clear plastic sheeting this weekend though, so at least i`ll be prepared for the worst.
Andy
Ste

Post by Ste »

Yeah I was a bit gutted, only bought it at the end of July and it was a 6 hour round trip to pick it up. I got my hands on it and within 5 months it was dead :x I put it down to last year was the first time I ever bought a plant or tree in my life so thought I had done something wrong until I read on here that so many people lost things during last winter due to how cold it was. I am going to do a bit more this year though icon_thumleft
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Well i`ve tended to buy Trackies rather than Washies as i know they are much hardier. But i love the look of Washies so couldn`t resist giving them a try. I actually have 5 of them now but 4 of them are small and in pots so i`ll bring them in over the winter. (untill they get too big) I get quite strong winds where i live aswell so i`ve avoided getting T. Fortuni`s and opted for the wagnerianus veriety and they seem to laugh at wind and freezing temps.
Andy
kracker

Post by kracker »

I've got a washy from homebase 3 trunker it will be going in the garage and for the most extreme nights the oil filled radiator will be going on i'll probably set it at 0 degrees ...
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Fingers crossed for a mild one!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Andy, to be honest seeing your situation I'd be inclined to put a couple of fence posts holders in the ground and attach posts to them for the winter. Then put a polycarbonate roof on between the fence and the posts. This will keep rain and snow off, as well as stopping radiation frost. Under that you can drape fleece for extra protection. I'd avoid wrapping it with anything :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Andy P »

@ Kracker .. I bought one of those 3 trunk Washies from B&Q and i split it into 3 separate plants. They`re all doing ok so far. From what i remember i think i only paid about 6 quid for them aswell so a Bargain! :DD

RE: Protecting for winter Dave .... Instead of putting wooden posts in the ground i was thinking of fixing a few battens up against the fence and covering them with clear polythene to make a sort of ` lean-to` tent over her. Similar to what u`ve suggested only being a `lean-to`. I`ll post a few pics of it when i`ve built it. Won`t be until the frosts hit us yet though.
Andy
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

hi andy, sorry mate dont think what ever you do will get it through our winters now,hope am wrong all the best icon_thumright
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Lets just hope your wrong delboy. 8)
Andy
juneil5

Post by juneil5 »

Hi Everybody
A little advice please. Earlier this year i bought a Washy with approx' 3 foot of trunk. I potted it up into a large (but just a size up) glazed pot. It has thrown out a couple of new leaves. Anyone know which would be better, leaving in the pot (which i can move into a well lit shed) or putting it directly in the garden.
Cheers icon_cheers
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Heres a picture of mine from maybe a week ago

Already 80F(27C) @ 8am dewpoint in the low 70s(F)23C...going to be a hot one!