Syagrus romanzoffiana & syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina

JakoMonster

Syagrus romanzoffiana & syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina

Post by JakoMonster »

what the difference between them, do they look different to each other
Nigel

Re: Syagrus romanzoffiana & syagrus romanzoffiana santa cata

Post by Nigel »

Syagrus rom covers a huge area in habitat from tropical Rio de Janeiro down to sub tropical Uruguay and the mountains of south brasil where it sees frosts.
A Syagrus rom from a tropical part of south america burns in frost, whereas the hardiest forms can take to around -8C.
The mountains of Santa Catarina are the coldest part of Brasil , summers are less hot and winters are cold.
From this provenance they grow faster in cool climate and show more cold resistance.
Also they can be HUGE, pic of me with one in the mountains here.
Attachments
Picture 176 (Medium).jpg
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

wow they look amazing, does that mean they can grow well here in the uk ?
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

I have decied that i want one, does anyone know a good trusted site where i could buy them from ? thanks if you could
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

They are not going to grow in the UK without serious protection. The winter is too long and harsh for the leaves to survive. The only way is to give a super protected position and keep the leaves from being destroyed in winter with serious protection.
brettc2727

Post by brettc2727 »

Would they be able to survive without protection in london? or would they eventually decline if not die?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the problem being if you get caught out,they are so slow over here they just decline and never look good again. a couple of years ago,i tried a santa catarina from akamba outside in a sheltered spot.it was a star performer,snuffed it quickly and quietly with no messing icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

brettc2727 wrote:Would they be able to survive without protection in london? or would they eventually decline if not die?
The key is in keeping the leaves intact in winter.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I've got two syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina in large pots, they haven't been through a winter with me yet. I intend to cover them in dust sheets (e.g. http://www.gloveclub.co.uk/dust-sheets- ... t%20sheets) after wrapping them in rope lights giving about 300w of heat.

I'm hoping the heat from the lights and the dust sheets will trap enough heat to keep the leaves alive until spring time. Basically I'm going to do whatever I can to keep them alive! I drape dust sheets over the top rather than wrapping and remove them during warmer days and to give the leaves light. Then in the evening throw the dust sheets over and turn on the rope lights.

I bought mine on half price sale from Amulree exotics, and they are quite tall.

It's grown lots over the last few months.

Hope this helps.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Mike are you going to keep your Syagrus in pots outside, or move into a garage/shed? Only the roots will be very exposed in the pots & if the pots freeze you will have dead palms, so it wont matter if their leaves are frosted or not...

I have tried various Syagrus romazoffiana over the years & even one of the 'Silver Queens'... None of them had any problems getting through the winter here, but they never grew enough during our relatively cool summers & they eventually died.

A 'Santa Catarina' I had survived & even grew well, but a faulty soil warming cable, & me being stuck out in Malta for nearly 3 weeks because of the Iceland volcano last year, meant a cooked palm...

Last year I planted a small 'regular' Syagrus romanzoffiana, with undivided fronds & this came through the winter well, but it spear pulled in June, but has since recovered & pushed out the remainder of the last frond & a new spear too...I have also this year planted another smaller 'Santa Catarina' & this has grown surprisingly well, currently on it's 3rd frond (again undivided) this year...
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

They will have to stay in pots until I buy a house (renting at the moment). I usually wrap the pots in rope lights too and place a few buckets of hot water all the way around the pots on the coldest nights to add thermal mass before covering with dust sheets.

It's probably the best I can do, can't be dragging the pots to the garage as these pots are hard to move and it's back breaking job!
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Does anyone know any nurseries, plant place and websites that sell them ? i have been looking around but i haven't found any yet
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

I have found a Syagrus romanzoffiana on Amurleee exotics, for both the plant and delivery it will cost £41 all together and the plant is between 1.75-2.5m high is that a good deal ?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

JakoMonster wrote:I have found a Syagrus romanzoffiana on Amurleee exotics, for both the plant and delivery it will cost £41 all together and the plant is between 1.75-2.5m high is that a good deal ?
I got mine from there, and they have 50% off now, so fill yer boots!

I also bought one of these https://vault1.secured-url.com/turn-it- ... roduct=339

sadly out of stock now, but a great looking palm and a little bit hardy, so I'm giving it a try with lots of winter protection.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

MikeC wrote:
JakoMonster wrote:I have found a Syagrus romanzoffiana on Amurleee exotics, for both the plant and delivery it will cost £41 all together and the plant is between 1.75-2.5m high is that a good deal ?
I got mine from there, and they have 50% off now, so fill yer boots!

I also bought one of these https://vault1.secured-url.com/turn-it- ... roduct=339

sadly out of stock now, but a great looking palm and a little bit hardy, so I'm giving it a try with lots of winter protection.
Did you buy the SYAGRUS ROM santa catarina or the standard syagrus romanzoffiana ?