When to take your palms in?

HenrikDK

When to take your palms in?

Post by HenrikDK »

When to take my palms in, they are starting to get yellow on the leaves???
Steph

Re: When to take your palms in?

Post by Steph »

Yellowing leaves means they are deficient in mineral salts.
I'd give mine a dose of Sequestrene or Epsom salts, Alka Seltza will do the business as well.

Is it getting very cold for you yet?
I mean in the UK its a bit early to bring stuff in.
HenrikDK

Post by HenrikDK »

No its ok warm about 16c and in the weekend 20-21c icon_sunny
But about 5-10c in the night

But winter is coming slowly icon_scratch
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

As has been said, yellowing doesn't mean its time to bring them in, it means they are lacking minerals.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Last year I took my palms in very early (before any frosts), first week of October. They came out in April. They had minimal light in this time and were fine. I will wait a little longer this year as I need to clear out the garage first!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Does your garage have some light Kris? I have got a shed but it gets below freezing in there are winter, but might be better than nothing as it has some light.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom2006 wrote:Does your garage have some light Kris? I have got a shed but it gets below freezing in there are winter, but might be better than nothing as it has some light.

It has a couple of windows facing North plus I leave the door open when it's above freezing.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I might give my shed a try then with my smaller Trachycarpus's in pots and just wrap them in bubble wrap if the temps get too low.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I will be dragging my bananas and small Trachycarpus and red Cordy in my garage about start of Oct to middle of Oct. My garage has 2 windows facing South and it goes down to about 0c in there over winter. Never bought plants in over winter before, but after last winter do not want things pegging it again. On nice days over winter I can drag the plants onto my drive for a few hours so they get some fresh air etc. Hoping they will survive ok. Do not know how often they will need watering? Maybe once a fortnight?

Cheers
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Tom2006 wrote:I might give my shed a try then with my smaller Trachycarpus's in pots and just wrap them in bubble wrap if the temps get too low.
Last winter I put a Yucca rigida and Chamaerops in my integral garage when the snow came in late November.

I did not think they would be in there for long, but they stayed in there for 6 weeks! I am not sure how cold it was in there, but the pots froze solid and there are no windows in there, but they survived okay.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

I took a number of cordies in yesterday - not because of the cold but because the wind up here was blowing the pots over. If I feel energetic, they will possibly be in and out for the next month or two depending on wind speed and temps. They will definitely be in if really heavy frost is forecast. (Cordyline Indivisa, Cordyline Kaspar and Cordyline Banksii) The common australis will have to take their chances outside as I don't have room for them under cover!
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Guess it depends on what kind of palms you have....
most of mine are cold hardy so I leave them out to face the
cold within reason.
Anything below 20F they are brought in/or if temps are averaging
below freezing to the point the pot/soil could freeze.
eddie

Post by eddie »

I take them in when it's freezing, I'll put them in a dry spot under the balcony when daytime temps are getting below 10C
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
kata

Post by kata »

I have two sheds, none has windows...tight ??? this council.

I will not be bringing any palms in the house as its only a one bed bungalow, also its a bit like Di I thinks said, 'bugs can wake up in warmth'. I can't have bugs wake in the house...HAHAHAHA

So out the palms will stay, triple wrapped like last year (two Cycas) . The fotunei is much hardier till -3, after that I will cover the bottom half with very thick cardbord it came with, and make balls of fleece for the center leaving the canopy to the elements.

The flowers, most are perennials, others will get a sheet or two of fleece...or go in the shed, come out in sun.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: