Emperor Cycad

jreinhar

Emperor Cycad

Post by jreinhar » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Has anyone tried growing the Cycas taitungensis, or Emperor or Prince Cycad, over in Britain? I know it grows as far north as Oklahoma City, zone 7, and further north as a cut-and-come-again perennial.

The Emperor is reportedly more cold-hardy (and larger) than the common cycad revoluta.

Thanks.

Troppoz

Re: Emperor Cycad

Post by Troppoz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:50 pm

I grow them here in tropical Australia, I can report that they are fast growers, much faster than revoluta.

Im sending a couple down to my mother in chilly Canberra for her to grow so I could report back in a year or so about their tolerance of frosts down to -8c or so.

Have you already obtained one or just considering it?

Sean
Sean

Simba

Post by Simba » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:11 am

Does Canberra really get that cold..?

leunerj

Post by leunerj » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:50 am

Canberra is either bloody freezing or boiling hot!
WISH LIST: Magnolia delavayi, Rhododendron sinogrande and Juania australis :-)

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Troppoz wrote:I grow them here in tropical Australia, I can report that they are fast growers, much faster than revoluta.

Im sending a couple down to my mother in chilly Canberra for her to grow so I could report back in a year or so about their tolerance of frosts down to -8c or so.

Have you already obtained one or just considering it?

Sean

Sean, do you have any off springs icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !

Troppoz

Post by Troppoz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:50 am

Simba wrote:Does Canberra really get that cold..?
Oh my bloody word yes!

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/s ... e&lc=70014

Canberra is at about 600m altitude, my mother lives about another 200m higher still so Im sure she gets colder days than this. She almost lost her entire collection of tropicals this year when they had a -9c killer night, then a week later they had daytimes over 20c!
The Codfather wrote:

Sean, do you have any off springs icon_thumright
Coddy try this ebayer;

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/gulubia/m.ht ... 513&_pgn=1

He is an excellent seller and I know that he sends to Europe, Im sure he would also send to the UK. Doesnt look like he has any taitungensis listed atm but send him a message and Im sure hell help you out. I got mine from him but they are nowhere near the stage of having babies yet.
Sean

jreinhar

Post by jreinhar » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:50 am

I'm going to wait until next spring to try the Emperor. Forecasts are for another hard La Nina winter in the Mid-Atlantic, so there's no point rushing things.

I am growing a potted Revoluta in my bay window. And I read too late Dave's admonition against rotating them while new leaves are unfurling. Looks a bit crooked now.

The Emperor in Oklahoma City is reportedly over six feet tall and totally unprotected. Of course, Oklahoma is a very warm Zone 7. This past summer they had nearly a month of temperatures over 100 Fahrenheit. Our winters in coastal NJ are not that cold, but the cold sticks around much longer.

The guy who is the Cycad guru in the U.S. is Robert Chumley (http://www.chumleycycads.com/about.html) He claims to be very active in cycad conservation and propogates rather than wild harvests his specimens. He's also developed a number of interesting hybrids.