Oh i love b&q lol

Gaz

Re: Oh i love b&q lol

Post by Gaz »

Ours havent had the big ones back in, and i do want a nice 7 footer ish. We have had a2' 3' and 4' from Wilkos 8)
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

I was talking to a B&Q 'garden advisor' last year and he said they haven't had any plans to get the large ones in beyond 4 feet. I wondered if they were being led by health and safety as they weigh a tonne for mere mortals. I carried mine on my shoulder from the trolley to the car and then from the car to the garden. I am sure I left dents in the concrete and I ain't that fat !!! :lol:

Planting them in large pots for the 4 footers is a good cheat to get height. I have also done it with the 6/7 footers with no disapointments. :D
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

We did get a nice 6-7 footer 2 years ago in the autumn sale at 50% off. That went home on the roof rack of the car with the pot and soil in the boot! It was planted vertically but developed a lean over its first winter. They root so quickly that its stabalised now, although doesnt quite lean in the direction i would have chosen.
daz

Post by daz »

Our b&q have got some 7-8 footer £89 nice aswell.I was really suprised with mine.I was talking to a member of staf in ther as i was buying it so i ask him.How far in the pot will the trunk be inside the pot?He said it will be about 5inch or so in the pot.I was happy to say he was wrong!it went all the way down giving me probably a good 10 inch extra.And we all know that 10 inches is massive don't we chaps :wink: Gota go now im of to work till 10pm :cry:
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Blimey £89 thats cheap ! I don't have a TF carrying car anymore though :lol:
Frank

Post by Frank »

Our b&q have got some 7-8 footer £89
Daz, any clue whether this is "new" stock or left overs from last year, which have magically found their way to your B&Q only?
I looked recently and my local one had none, not even 5 footers and last year they had already arrived this time of year. They never had any 7-8 footers (I remember getting a 5 footers for that price, bl**dy London prices, well, I got 20% off)

The reason I'm asking? I planted the 5 footer next to the path somehow fooling myself that I'd be able to get past. Short from tying up the fronds, I'd rather walk under them so I'm on the lookout for a tall handsome beast (not you Don :lol:) that fits the price bracket ........
Juliasaurus

Post by Juliasaurus »

There might have been a few taller ones in the Chiswick Roundabout store, Frank. Otherwise, try the Syon Lane Homebase. They've had loads of Dicksonia antarctica in, and I reckon they're about that price. But I haven't examined them closely in case I buy one (and I really can't afford to do that!!).
Frank

Post by Frank »

There might have been a few taller ones in the Chiswick Roundabout store
Not a few weeks ago there weren't, that is my local :lol:

If Homebase have 7 foot for under £100 (they won't) I'd be delighted ...... If anyone spots any in the south west London area let me know please. Not that I really 'need' anymore :roll:
Juliasaurus

Post by Juliasaurus »

Ah. Well I was only in there about five minutes until I found the grevillea yesterday, so all I noticed was the 1ft ones for a tenner. I might be going to Wyevale Osterley on Saturday (run out of green slate now!). I doubt they'll be cheaper than Homebase/B&Q but I'll cast my eye over towards the Dicksonia antarctica for you.
bodster

Post by bodster »

Well you got the most important thing juliasaurus :)
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Homebase Cheltenham had three foot 'ish Dicksonia antarctica for £99! Naturally I won't be buying one.

Vale Tropicals, Evesham, had 5' to 6' ones for about £100 last month.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I might be going to Wyevale Osterley
Been there, done that, didn't buy the tree fern :lol: You're spot on, not tall enough, not cheap enough .....
Juliasaurus

Post by Juliasaurus »

And if you've been there you've probably been to Squires Twickenham too. They had a BOGOF on terracotta pots earlier in the month, but a terracotta pot is not a tree fern...
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Strood B&Q has got a few 7 footers in 8)
Can't remember exactly how much they were,but they were around £169/79 maybe even89.So if anyone really wants one try there :wink:
Frank

Post by Frank »

Strood B&Q has got a few 7 footers in
I can't convince the other half to take a trip to the continent, otherwise I could have picked one up on the way back :lol:
They had a BOGOF on terracotta pots earlier in the month
Pots, pots, pots , tree ferns I want, not pots :twisted: :lol: