Phoenix roebelenii info

The Codfather

Phoenix roebelenii info

Post by The Codfather »

Whats peoples PERSONAL experinces on overwintering these.........and does anyone know if they are any being sold off......B&Q, Ikea, GC's etc. I live the ones wwith the chunkier trunks on ebay from Germay.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Phoenix roebelenii info

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The Codfather wrote:Whats peoples PERSONAL experinces on overwintering these.........and does anyone know if they are any being sold off......B&Q, Ikea, GC's etc. I live the ones wwith the chunkier trunks on ebay from Germay.
Pity you didn't order one with your Der P order , i think they're only 10 euro's
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh, they are....... :( I am already kicking me self.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I've only ever killed them by keeping them outside in the ground with fleece on top.

In my mind they are the same league as the bismarckia nobilis, i.e. conservatory palm in a pot, summer on the decking.

:roll:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

what about in a garage....say 2c-5c ?
AKA - Martin

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

These are regularly kept as indoor plants so mine is staying warm and I'm keeping it well watered.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

GoggleboxUK wrote:These are regularly kept as indoor plants so mine is staying warm and I'm keeping it well watered.
The victorians were quite big on keeping these indoors i believe.

Coddy, probably your best bet for an end of season cheapie would be The Range or Ikea
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Never let them dry out.
jezza

Post by jezza »

heated greenhouse from mid oct then out again from late april. I find keeping them indoors means they grow weaker leaves and scorch from the sun easily.
pdid

Post by pdid »

I picked one up in the sale from B&Q £12.50 from £50, bad scorching to the leaves but it`ll recover.
IMG_20110929_185136.jpg
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A conservatory is perfect if you have one.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I don't have a conservatory.......garage or with some wife persuading.....the house.
AKA - Martin

dino

Post by dino »

In my experience they tell you when they're not happy eg leaves browning or drooping means not enough water or light. They soon perk up though.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Easy to keep?.
I just tie the leaves up and stand it in my rear porch with no heating.
The average temp in the porch is about +13c all winter.
I just have to make sure that it dosen,t dry out and i also keep a very close watch for those dreaded scale insects.
The light level in my porch is about the same as outside and no extra light is given.
Just try to make sure the palm dosen,t grow if you can as streched leaves collapse easily when you put it back outsde in the spring.
rgds billdango. :D :D :D :D
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

I second Bills suggestion. We kept ours in similar circumstances last year, will do the same this year. When we came to untie the fronds you'd never have known they'd been tied up for 4 months. Back to normal in no time.