Phoenix roebelenii info

GREVILLE

Re: Phoenix roebelenii info

Post by GREVILLE »

Kept a large one for years in all the different ways previously described. Overwintered in greenhouse (min 3c). Inside house against sunny window (15c-25c). Outside in a few very mild winters and brought in to an unheated garage with low light levels when frosty.
The last method never required watering as winter rains kept it moist enough. The warmer it was kept the more water it got.

It looked good year round whichever method I used. Unfortunately, I lost it a few years ago :ahhh!: Because it looked too good :roll: Stolen :x

My young replacement overwinters for four or five months at my boys' school. It often gets too warm there so needs lots of water but there is overhead skylighting, so even here it doesn't get drawn leaves.

So, Coddy, it seems you can overwinter these just about any way you wish. As others have said, just watch the watering icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

icon_thumright Thanks I think I will give one a whirl.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine comes in the conservatory now, not in yet though. Biggest thing is... as has already been said ..... don't let it dry out over winter or it will spend all next year trying to replace the leaves it lost. Very slow coming back from defoliation. I know. unfortunately :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Dave, do you just put it on the patio in a pot.......or plundge it somewhere ?

This is 1 plant I love.....I suppose I like all the light delicate leaves on all feather palms.....just more challenging to keep.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

One thing to bear in mind if you intend growing one inside the house are the spines on the petioles, very sharp and plentiful
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

Mine has been sat in a saucer of water all summer. Do I continue to do this over the winter when it is inside?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Just ordered one along with a yucca Rostrata.....
AKA - Martin

pdid

Post by pdid »

Mine is growing like wildfire since being brought into the conservatory. The tray of water it`s sitting is is being filled every other day.

Where did you order from Coddy?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

DerPalmenmann

The issue for me is I aint sure if the Mrs will have it in the house........
AKA - Martin

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The Codfather wrote:DerPalmenmann

The issue for me is I aint sure if the Mrs will have it in the house........
If she's a fan of Downton Abbey, tell her they have them in their house icon_thumleft :lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Na, never watched it......
AKA - Martin

Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I personally have no luck with this tree, and have given it a miss. I kept one dry in the car port last year as i listened to other sites saying this is what you do, and it died of drought. I havnt bothered again but may be tempted at that price :roll:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:shock: I hope I have not made a bad decision........should be her in a week......I keep reading Greville's post how he managed using a garage... icon_study
AKA - Martin

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Definitely not a bad decision Coddy, just keep it wet and above freezing and you should be ok.

The palm that is, not the Mrs.

;)