Mealy Bug......

rexwedge

Mealy Bug......

Post by rexwedge »

Is there anybody out there can give a tip on controlling mealy bug now that MAFF or THRUSH or the powers that be won't let me buy Malathion to keep this pesky invader away from my sheltered aeoniums, aloes,opuntias etc. Organic maybe but they take over if you let them. :cry:
turtile

Post by turtile »

I mostly use acephate but you can also use a mixture of Neem Oil and Sevin.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've been fighting this on my Alocasia odora. Provada does not seem to work, so I have been blasting them with the hose, but this has to be done daily on all surfaces of every leaf, down into the leaf axils etc. This has to be done everyday without fail, about 3 weeks so far and they still come back everyday. Leave it a week and you are back to square one. Fortunately they don't seem to fly so the affected plants can be isolated. Mine contracted it from a Phormium in the garden. I have not been able to control it outside either.

It seems the EU is hell bent on forcing everyone to become organic :twisted:

I have been toying with the idea of Soft soap which will break down the waterproof coat of the bug, but I don't think it kills the eggs, so will be a multiapplication anyway.

Best solution will be a flame thrower. They are allowed under EU mismanagement. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright