Trouble germinating Trachycarpus seeds

Addictedtopalms26

Trouble germinating Trachycarpus seeds

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

I've had a lot of trouble trying to germinate Trachycarpus seeds over the past few months and wonder if anyone could tell me where im going wrong..

1st batch: 25 seeds - pot of pure compost on hot window sill

2nd batch: 40 seeds - half perlite, half compost in a heated propagator (probably around 25 degrees)

Each with no result :(

So now im stuck.. luckily ive got hold of a few more but am hoping for some success! :)
RogerBacardy

Re: Trouble germinating Trachycarpus seeds

Post by RogerBacardy »

They germinate outside in the UK climate. I just leave mine in trays outside with drainage. Allowing the rain to water them and providing no extra heat. After a few weeks or up to a month I normally see movement.

I think Dave has to weed his seedlings under Trudy Trachycarpus.
Last edited by RogerBacardy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Trachycarpus seeds can take anywhere from a few
days to a few years to sprout depending on freshness.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

do you think i should save my seeds till spring then? If so at room temperture or fridge? :)
pdid

Post by pdid »

Reds sent me a free packet of Waggie x seed with the agave I bought from him. His instructions for the seeds were
you can do the seeds now,simply put in a bag of moist but not wet compost and anywhere in the house will do.room temperature is best for trachies. they can take anything from 2 weeks to a year to sprout so you would have a few to pot up come spring.
Good luck icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

anything from 12 to about 18 seems to work for me.much warmer and they dont sprout. icon_thumright
ive got a bag sat on top of my pc in spag moss,pick out any amount every month,sometimes plenty,others only a few icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
flounder

Post by flounder »

same as everyone else, room temperature. Quickest one 5 days last remembered one 13 months
brendan

Post by brendan »

redsquirrel wrote:anything from 12 to about 18 seems to work for me.much warmer and they dont sprout. icon_thumright
ive got a bag sat on top of my pc in spag moss,pick out any amount every month,sometimes plenty,others only a few icon_thumright
Red do you soak the seeds first and do you take the outer coat off. Got some seeds off one of my trachys and was going to try some.Never done this before.
turtile

Post by turtile »

Use half loose peat and half perlite. Compost shouldn't be used in any type of container. It isn't sterilized which can lead to disease problems. It also can be too wet and not well aerated.

1. Soak seeds with systemic fungicide for 3 days - replace water every day
2. Wet peat/perlite mixture and squeeze until no water drips out
3. Insert seeds into a zip-lock bag and seal it
4. Place it in the window and wait
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

or simply chuck them in a bag of spag moss,i havent had fungus or rot problems with this method. i also use perlite for more expensive seeds just incase rot or fungus should start.
i try mixing both perlite and compost,also with good results.
different people use different techniques,i was told jubaea need a warm/cool/warm/cool cycle,i gave up on that,put a bag in the airing cupboard and a bag on the welsh dresser that id been trying for ages with.to my surprise,the ones at room temp are going great,one has even grown the first shoot straight through the side of the ziplock food bag :lol: another first for me in that bag is a double,havent seen one of those before icon_thumleft
Attachments
DSCN1279.JPG
brendan

Post by brendan »

redsquirrel wrote:or simply chuck them in a bag of spag moss,i havent had fungus or rot problems with this method. i also use perlite for more expensive seeds just incase rot or fungus should start.
i try mixing both perlite and compost,also with good results.
different people use different techniques,i was told jubaea need a warm/cool/warm/cool cycle,i gave up on that,put a bag in the airing cupboard and a bag on the welsh dresser that id been trying for ages with.to my surprise,the ones at room temp are going great,one has even grown the first shoot straight through the side of the ziplock food bag :lol: another first for me in that bag is a double,havent seen one of those before icon_thumleft
Red where do you get spag moss and do you put them in the bag without presoaking them.
kata

Post by kata »

I think any garden center,

Not seen it at B&Q or Homebase.

Market gardners...on the market maybe. :lol: :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

as Kata says,most good garden centers,gardman stockists icon_thumright i have never soaked Trachycarpus seeds,never see the point as they are normally pretty fresh.older dried out seeds might benefit but again i dont tend to bother.i did soak the jubaeas,mainly to see if they floated.most of them did which dispels the theory that floaters are duds
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Jim is absolutely right. The only success i have had growing palms from seed is where i know for sure the seed was fresh and that mostly translates to having collected it myself. With fresh seed I usually see germination in a week or two and yields are usually in the 90% level.

With palm seed bought commercially i consider myself lucky if any germinate given i have no idea how old it is.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I also like using the big bags like Darren has there.
I tend to get lazy sometimes about potting up and
having a large baggie allows them to grow until I
get to them,it's also nice to pot a larger sized palm
up as they seem to do better that way.