Late Flowering Fatsia

GoggleboxUK

Late Flowering Fatsia

Post by GoggleboxUK »

All my Fatsias have come into flower this week.

icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Late Flowering Fatsia

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

flounder

Post by flounder »

yep, all mine too..................as usual
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Ive also seen many in flower around here, I think it's normal for the time of year? I heard the frost is the biggest threat to a flowering Fatsia, understandable of course.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Mine has been in flower for about 3 weeks. 1st time. Didn`t flower at all last year.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Mine always flowers this time of the year...
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Have yours only come into flower this week then Goggs? Only i was wondering why mine has been in flower for almost a month and yours has only just flowered?? icon_scratch
You don`t live that far from me so would have thought they`d pretty well flower the same time. And if not- what would be the reasons for the difference in time.?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

They flower earlier in places with hotter summers. But there's also some variation between individual plants in flowering time in the same conditions.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes normal time of year for flowering.

As its so mild I might get a bit more out of my T rex flowers this year, I think there are something like 11 flower spikes on it this time.
Last year was the first time it flowered and we had early damaging frosts so I didnt really get to check them out.
palm lad

Post by palm lad »

just out of interest how many years does anyone reckon a small-ish fatsia take to get to say about 5 x 5 feet?

havent got a photo but planted 3 earlier in the summer round side of our new extension to hide at least halfway up the brick walls, they are about 70 or 80cm tall at the minute icon_thumright
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yes Andy, only in flower this last week.

All mine are potted and in fairly deep shade, not sure if that's why they are behind yours, possibly you being more coastal has given yours the head start on mine?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

palm lad wrote:just out of interest how many years does anyone reckon a small-ish fatsia take to get to say about 5 x 5 feet?

havent got a photo but planted 3 earlier in the summer round side of our new extension to hide at least halfway up the brick walls, they are about 70 or 80cm tall at the minute icon_thumright
about 3 maybe.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

The fatsia i have is in a pot also and i`ve kept it fairly shaded as i believe they look a lot greener and more tropical kept in shade. i`ve seen a lot around that have been planted by the local council in full sun and they look very pale and anemic.

Palmlad: I bought my Fatsia about 18 months ago and it was a small shrub around 26 inches square. Though very bushy. I had to repot it in spring and i stuck it in a pot approx 50 litre. It`s now a good 48 inches square at least and very dense. Even though i thinned it out quite a lot in mid summer. They`re fairly fast growing. Though i only have one and that`s all i have to base my opinion on.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yes, they aren't slow in the least. All 3 of mine have doubled in size this year and my smallest was about 15" when I got it, now 3ft, my 2ft one is now over 55" and the 3ft one is almost 6ft.

3 years sounds spot on to me.
Rod

Post by Rod »

palm lad wrote:just out of interest how many years does anyone reckon a small-ish fatsia take to get to say about 5 x 5 feet?

Hi Palm-lad ~ About 2-years to get to 5ft by 5ft, from a 70-80cm size plant, here in Christchurch, N.Z