Does rain make a frost less likely

cordyman

Does rain make a frost less likely

Post by cordyman »

Not rose above 4*c all day and rain hasn't stopped either.

Dont fancy the prospects of my unprotected palms getting frozen with all the water on them.

Does the fact its raining decrease the chance of a frost?
kata

Re: Does rain make a frost less likely

Post by kata »

Its rained two days here Cordy,

Doubt it will rain and frost.

icon_cheers
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

rain all day ice tonight a bad combination that icon_thumbdown
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

If the cloud associated with the rain stays overnight, then no frost.

If the cloud clears, a clear night will give you a frost.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Its given frost here tonight and all my things are piffed wet through :x My shelter is almost ready, just need to get the tarpaulin over it and tie it down tight but cant seem to get chance. Been out on the drive today with the tarpaulin (4x5m) and its windy as hell, im just getting in a mess so screwed up the sheed, threw it in the garage and went off in a mood :x
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Just been out for a quick look at my echiums in the garage to find it's snowing :shock: wet snow albeit. Brought 1 of them into the conservatory for insurance. Currently 4.8C in the garage with fan heater and 2C outside. Could be one of those nights when the rain freezes while is still running down the car.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JoelR wrote:Just been out for a quick look at my echiums in the garage to find it's snowing :shock: wet snow albeit. Brought 1 of them into the conservatory for insurance. Currently 4.8C in the garage with fan heater and 2C outside. Could be one of those nights when the rain freezes while is still running down the car.
It's getting closer to me then...

What are you protecting in you garage? (apart from the echiums)
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

2c here rain sleet snow hail wish it would make its mind up :roll:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Ste wrote:Its given frost here tonight and all my things are piffed wet through :x My shelter is almost ready, just need to get the tarpaulin over it and tie it down tight but cant seem to get chance. Been out on the drive today with the tarpaulin (4x5m) and its windy as hell, im just getting in a mess so screwed up the sheed, threw it in the garage and went off in a mood :x
Expecting a frost here tonight too Ste so i went out and wrapped a few things. Trying to put a fleece bag around my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP when it was blowing a gale was annnoying to say the least. :evil: Got there in the end though.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
JoelR wrote:Just been out for a quick look at my echiums in the garage to find it's snowing :shock: wet snow albeit. Brought 1 of them into the conservatory for insurance. Currently 4.8C in the garage with fan heater and 2C outside. Could be one of those nights when the rain freezes while is still running down the car.

Currently several echiums, a smallish 2010 autumn (but doing well) B&Q Chamaerops maybe 6 years old, last surviving cutting grown melianthus major, hanging basket rescue fuschias and a doomed Lidl Cavendish banana. There's a 15w UV light connected to the same timer plug powering the light in my propogator which is supplemental light. They're all coming out most days so far but only on mornings when it's warm enough. The light is making them a bit drawn but better than nothing I think.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JoelR wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:

Currently several echiums, a smallish 2010 autumn (but doing well) B&Q Chamaerops maybe 6 years old, last surviving cutting grown melianthus major, hanging basket rescue fuschias and a doomed Lidl Cavendish banana. There's a 15w UV light connected to the same timer plug powering the light in my propogator which is supplemental light. They're all coming out most days so far but only on mornings when it's warm enough. The light is making them a bit drawn but better than nothing I think.

I've got quite a few plants in mine too..

Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JoelR wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:

I've got quite a few plants in mine too..

JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Just a few Kris! I hope they all pull through. I'm sure you've got the light problem adressed. I could buy a reflector cheaply and put up a 250w envirolight I already have which would give enough light for a 6 feet radius or so and quite a bit of heat too. Might need to get my wiring a bit more reliable first though as we keep having blow outs possibly because of my diy plant protection electrics.

Quite a few tons of rockery stone taking up half the garage pending digging up and moving existing plants with minimum losses.

One day when I have the spare cash I'll get the garage rebuilt as a stylish half potting shed/half greenhouse. Far more usefull then.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its still about+7c here in Southampton but although we only had light showers today its getting colder by the hour.

The sky is completely clear so that means a frost by dawn.

Although my Syagrus is tied up' so far I have not wrapped it.

Hopefully it won,t go below -1 tonight and it should stay above freezing in my side entrance.

Billdango :(
Ste

Post by Ste »

Just been out for a fag and its quite cloudy here which is a bonus