The "my garden looks like a meteor crash site" thread...

cordyman

The "my garden looks like a meteor crash site" thread...

Post by cordyman »

It really does look terrible, musas torn to bits, bedding brown and soggy, grass overgrown and full of leaves, fleece jackets here and there, i'm having a hard job picturing it looking good again next year icon_scratch :lol:

I've seen a few members gardens on here which look outstanding for this time of year icon_thumleft but who's with me on "my garden also looks like a meteor crash site" ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: The "my garden looks like a meteor crash site" thread...

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine is not light long enough to notice :lol: Was just thinking the other day here we are with the musa still in leaf, but everything is a mess. Normally everything is frosted and I lose interest for a month until the new year. A tidy winter garden is a less well protected garden. I bite my lip until end of Feb, then start to tidy :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Whilst sourcing the parts for my rocket heater and neglect through work, my wife reckons the garden looks like steptoes yard...................hmm, icon_scratch she has a point so yes, a meteor crash site in steptoes yard :(
flounder

Post by flounder »

Dave Brown wrote:Mine is not light long enough to notice :lol: Was just thinking the other day here we are with the musa still in leaf, but everything is a mess. Normally everything is frosted and I lose interest for a month until the new year. A tidy winter garden is a less well protected garden. I bite my lip until end of Feb, then start to tidy :wink:
with this philosophy, I should be able to get fruit on my bananas then :lol:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I'm with you, my garden looks bare and scruffy. I hate it lol.
I'm definately planting more evergreen hardy stuff next year, as long as it looks exotic that will do for me.
I will be planting more palms, more bamboos and a Dicksonia antarctica or 2 then will fill in-between with leafy evergreen shrubs and then leave spaces for tender plants (lots of nana's).
This was my first year gardening, so I had left some of the previous owners cottage plants in the ground. I have now dug these up, so I have holes everywhere just waiting to fill. It is driving me mad as I'm itching to get back outside.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Dave Brown wrote:Mine is not light long enough to notice :lol:
Exactly! I hardly get to see my garden at the moment. Only at weekends. No time in morning when i leave and dark when i get home. :cry:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I was so disappointed with how my newly built garden looked last winter that I decided I'd do something about it.

After some excellent suggestions in threads I posted here I boughts lots of evergreens (Fatsia, Rhodedendron, Bamboo, Clematis, Fatshedera, Japanese Temple Cedars, laurels etc) and I expect it to look a whole lot better this year.

It's all part of the development history of your garden Cordy. I know you posted a "finished" thread earlier this year, I guess you are starting to realise why everyone replied saying it's never finished.

;)
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I was so disappointed with how my newly built garden looked last winter that I decided I'd do something about it.

After some excellent suggestions in threads I posted here I boughts lots of evergreens (Fatsia, Rhodedendron, Bamboo, Clematis, Fatshedera, Japanese Temple Cedars, laurels etc) and I expect it to look a whole lot better this year.

It's all part of the development history of your garden Cordy. I know you posted a "finished" thread earlier this year, I guess you are starting to realise why everyone replied saying it's never finished.

;)
^^^^^This is how i feel right now.
My garden is also 'new' this year, and i was thrilled with the transformation. I knew i still needed lots more plants, but i didn't realise just how empty my borders would be.
Im already planning for next year tho, and i have lots of plans.

My grandads garden has taken him over 50 years and he is still making changes, so i don't think i will ever say my garden is done.
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

i have leaves on my garden im out every night after work depending on how many there are with the blower or hand picking them up now all the leaves are off i can enjoy 3 months without leaves and middle of summer the same
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I cut down 10 Leylandii a few weeks ago and still have about a quarter of the branches left to get rid of. I also decided to remove a section of my lawn to make a bed for Tropicals and that`s just been dug up and left. With that, the overgrown grass and leaves blowing around everywhere, it`s really looking a mess.
I`ve got my work cut out come spring. :roll:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

i have the answer to your prayers and guaranteed to make your garden look great :D

About 18" snow :lol:
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

As has been mentioned it's a natural progression, getting the balance of evergreen, deciduous plants and annual bedding. It's never a finished piece but I guess that is part of the attraction.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Trudytropics wrote:i have the answer to your prayers and guaranteed to make your garden look great :D

About 18" snow :lol:
Now that made me laugh :lol:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Mine holds up well through into the winter.

It's not pristine by any means, but I designed it to have lots of interest all year round :)
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

not done any protecting yet so still looks ok

i am wondering what it might look like with loads of what will esentially look like giant dildos when i protect my nanas