My Chusan Palm Tree has leaf ends that Are brown & dry?

VictoriaZ

My Chusan Palm Tree has leaf ends that Are brown & dry?

Post by VictoriaZ »

Exotic gardeing newbie question again !

I ordered 2 three foot tall Trachycarpus Fortunei from a nursery on ebay. They arrived today. The ends of all their leaves are brown and rather dry. What's that all about ? Do I snip the ends off ? Will it go away by iteself?

I also had 2 Fatsia Japonica arrive from a separate nursery only to find it's leaves were a bit discoloured (paler green) and that many had small black spots on them. I complained to the woman and was told that the 2 i got had been "grown outside hard" over winter in all weathers so were fully hardy and would remain so and root themselves quickly and grow faster into beautiful plants (they are currently 3 foot tall) and that the other 2 had been reared inside so although glossier would not be so hardy as had not been exposed to any winter elements. But 2 others i bought from someone else arrived looking beautiful and glossy...albeit were more tender to the touch. Should I be worried about the 2 with the paler leaves and black spots ? Will they sort themselves out?

thanks!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: My Chusan Palm Tree has leaf ends that Are brown & dry?

Post by Dave Brown »

The trachies do get yellow and brown leaflet tips if allowed to get dry, and also as the leaves get older. New leaves should not have any discolouring. Once it has turned this colour it will not revert to green, so if it is spoiling the appearance clip the ends. but leave about 1mm of brown, as if you cut into the green it may lose moisture and the tip turn brown again.

See the yellowing on the lower leaves of my Trachycarpus. This was made worse by the drought of 2005/6
060508 Blue sky.jpg
Fatsia may be slightly lighter if grown in full sun. The ones grown inside may scorch if grown soft, but they tend to be quite fast growing with 20 or so leaves in the spring.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by VictoriaZ »

thanks Dave, I think I will clip the ends as you suggested and make sure he is well watered from now on.
By the way, I love your garden !
Andrew In Bracknell

Post by Andrew In Bracknell »

I just love trimming the ends! A tatty palm can become a thing of beauty in minutes! :D
simon

Post by simon »

I have a small fatsia that is very pale leaves and that has been in full shade since I got it. I assumed the paleness to be a result of the lack of sun. Most plants go pale/yellowy if deprived of sun.