What haven't you brought in / protected yet?

RogerBacardy

What haven't you brought in / protected yet?

Post by RogerBacardy »

Own up, who else has been too busy to bring in certain plants that really shouldn't be out unprotected in winter.

Or is it just me?

Ensetes, dwarf cavendish, basjoo (would normally want to protect the psuedostem to retain height), echeveria, various small agaves, ivy leafed geraniums, cannas... They're all out still. Really, they should all be protected a bit right now, but I haven't had time. Fingers crossed the weather stays relatively mild & I don't regret it. Although the dwarf cavendish is a gonner already by the looks of things.
The Codfather

Re: What haven't you brought in / protected yet?

Post by The Codfather »

canna's only for me.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I bought in the big yucca rostrata 6wks ago but have now put it back outside, with some bubble wrap around the pot incase weather turns nasty. My baby tree ferns are still out with no protection, also butia capitata still out no protection, the only thing i have covered is musa basjoo & musa Sikimmensis and there in the ground. Also have various tracycarpus out but there only small & easy to pull inside. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The lawn is still left out.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:The lawn is still left out.
Make sure you fleece it kris :lol: . karl.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

My cannas are virused, so I don't really want them to survive!

My garden looks very tatty right now, but it's not frozen solid at the end of Dec like it was the previous 3 winters.

So hooray for that! icon_cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

RogerBacardy wrote:My cannas are virused, so I don't really want them to survive!

My garden looks very tatty right now, but it's not frozen solid at the end of Dec like it was the previous 3 winters.

So hooray for that! icon_cheers
Why do you think I left mine out........ :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

hmm pretty much everything;

Not because I'm being naive and cocky about it, it's merely because I'm waiting for the greenhouse to be finished until I can move them - they'd all be in there already if it were.

Stuff I still have planted out though are Echeverias, Chamaedorea elegans, all the Geraniums (still in flower), Schefflera arboricola, florist Gerberas (in leaf but not flowering).

Stuff I have in pots still outside; Alocasia x calidora (still in leaf, not looking bad), Blechnum nudum (enjoying the rain), Yucca guatamalensis, Cordyline fruticosa, Aeonium arboreum and Aeonium 'schwartzkopf', Strelitzia reginae.

They're all still outside waiting to go in.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Quite a few plants have gone back out and stayed out overnight for the past couple of nights including tenderonis like Echiums. If the weather stays like this I'll bring a few others out of the greenhouse at least during the day. It's easier being on holiday because I can wait until later in the morning when temperatures have risen.

There are daffodils in flower locally and other bulbs have started into growth. A seed tray full of hellebore seeds I collected in June and had given up on have erupted into growth lately which I'm quite pleased about.

Pity Musa basjoo encased in straw can't be easily unwrapped on days like this. Nothing colder than 3C forecast for the next 5 days here. They get it wrong sometimes of course.
Last edited by JoelR on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Apart from seedlings hopefully i wont have to protect anything! Unless its really cold like last December and we are expecting serious cold (less than -5C) or a long spell not going far above freezing I wouldn't bother. Protection can do more harm than good.

Cannas and Musella and Dahlias can take their chances and come back in Spring, if they did it last year they can this year too!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I've not protected or brought anything under cover yet, but I never do unless we are forecast below 0C. Any protection is then removed as soon as the cold snap is over...
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My 2 R. Hystrix are still out.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I have only put some small stuff away to protect it from wind damage more than anything, and everything else is left unprotected
Leigh
Simba

Post by Simba »

Cycas revoluta all still outside, but lightly wrapped, same with trunked Yucca rostrata, linearifolia & thompsoniana.

Tree ferns and Schefflera all looking fine at the moment, so not covered up yet.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Cycads, Aloes, Aeoniums, Agaves, Chamaedorea, Kentia, several Schefflera's Colocasia,s M.basjoo's, Treeferns, blah blah blah!
.... Everything's unprotected in fact.