Fortunei Vs Waggie

Ste

Fortunei Vs Waggie

Post by Ste »

Ive got 3 waggies coming over on my supplier's next container load which should be sometime this month. Im taking one with a 2ft trunk, 4ft trunk and 6ft trunk. Ive gone for the waggies as I think they look nicer as the leaves can take the wind better than fortunei. The leaves on my biggest fortunei look real tatty after the wind today, and they are still getting battered by the strong wind right now. My question is.......... between the fortunei and waggie, does one grow quicker than the other or are they both similar? I would rather go for the ones which grew quicker, thats if one did but also have to take into consideration where I live. I get a lot of strong winds so maybe im best sticking with getting the waggies.
Tom2006

Re: Fortunei Vs Waggie

Post by Tom2006 »

My understanding is that Fortunei grow a little quicker. Having bought five Waggies last years (all smaller than your new ones) I MUCH prefer their shape and ability to laugh at the wind/weather. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
turtile

Post by turtile »

Normal fortunei grow faster for me. There are also some variations that hold up very well to wind.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

I think it can very from plant to plant....

One group of Nainital,Waggie and Fortunei have always outgrown
the other Nainital,Waggie and Fortunei I have planted.

First group Nainital,Waggie,Fortunei-at least 8-10+ leaves every year.

Second group 3-6,I suspect as they all get older this evens out somewhat
but some plants are just faster than others as some are more cold hardy
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Fortunei's faster, wagnerianus is of course a very nice palm but you would lose out to dismiss fortunei altogether, palm leaves dont have to be solid.
Ste, as you like big and fast then a fortunei is a must.
I love the movement my garden gives me in the wind, Im not so keen on these gales blowing but the wind brings the garden alive.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Adrian wrote:Fortunei's faster, wagnerianus is of course a very nice palm but you would lose out to dismiss fortunei altogether, palm leaves dont have to be solid.
Ste, as you like big and fast then a fortunei is a must.
I do already have 3 fortunei's and possibly going to get my biggest one yet this year. The guy I buy them off has 4 fortunei's available at 16ft so maybe treat myself in the summer. I only have one waggie at the minute so I think I could do with a few more waggies rather than more fortunei's. My plan has been waggies all along - already ordered them, I was just curious as to weather they were a similar speed at growing of if one was faster than the other.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

You could always go half-n-half and get an intermediate, something combining the faster growth of a typical fortunei with the better wind resistance of a Waggie group cultivar.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh, buy a cross\hybid of both.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Or some of Dave's self-sown hardy seedlings perhaps? (or is that something else rather than Fortunei's and Waggies? and maybe way too small compared to what is required ... I'll get my coat!)